Sunday, September 27, 2009

Made to Worship by Tami Cinquemani

I love balancing a checkbook. Yes, I know many people would rather go to the dentist and get their teeth drilled, but for me, the task of going through my banking receipts and making sure the total on my bank statement matches that of my home record is fun! I will hunt down a discrepancy as tiny as a penny until I discover where the error has taken place. And then, when my totals fall in line, I am a happy woman.

My husband has things he enjoys doing that I detest: spicy hot food, playing geography games, and cross-country skiing (ANYTHING having to do with temperatures below 70 degrees for that matter) to name just a few. We decided early in our marriage that there were some things we were just not going to do together.

We are all wired differently. Different likes and dislikes, goals and dreams, pleasures and pains. There is one thing that each one of us was created to do, however. Worship. In each one of us is a desire to be in communion with our Creator. It just makes sense. Our God created us to be in relationship with Him, and souls taken so far from the adoration of the Creator/creature bond can only long for the most intimacy our humanness allows. Our life circumstances may heighten or mute that desire, but it is there.

Being physically present at a place where worship is taking place – whether individually or corporately - does not guarantee that you will receive the fullest experience. There were many guests at the wedding where Jesus performed his first miracle. However, being seated at the wedding and sipping a beverage – even a good, quality beverage –did not change the guests. It was the realization of the One whose presence created the miracle. Worship is not an event. It is not something we go to that merely requires us to occupy a seat. Worship is an active pursuit. It is realizing and responding to the presence of the One who created each one of us – those who enjoy balancing their checkbooks as well as those who thrive in frigid temperatures. Each one unique, but all created with a need to worship.

Tami Cinquemani

4 comments:

  1. I really liked your blog. I have to agree with you completely. I also have the need to come up with the correct balance on my checking account or else I go back and find exactly where I made the mistake. Once that happens I am a happy woman. Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU, Pat. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this compulsion. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tami, great reminder of what we SO easily forget . . . worship is not about us. And yet, the wonderful and gracious mystery is that when we focus on Who we were created to worship, we are drawn into the self-giving, communal love of our Trinitarian God and we are filled with the glorious fullness of God. As we bless God, we are blessed! Thank you so much for your creative and dedicated work each week with the pastors and worship teams to provide an atmosphere that is conducive to worship. In our media saturated culture it would be so easy to pander instead to our desire to be entertained - dangerous ground, indeed. Thank you for keeping us centered on God and looking upward with this well written blog . . . and yes, I could join the "checkbook club" with you and Patricia. Unfortunately, I have other time-consuming habits as well!

    jodie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jodie! As always, your words are a wonderful source of focus and encouragement. I hope you know how much I rely on and appreciate your support and prayers.

    ReplyDelete