Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Christmas Story - a New Dad's Perspective by Chad Hess

On October 26, I saw my only son, Ethan, enter this world. This initiation into parenthood has given me a new perspective on how God may have felt when Jesus was born. Susan and I began planning for the birth immediately. We found the right doctor, we checked out the hospital, we read books, we registered for our baby shower, we painted and decorated the baby’s room, and we packed our bags. As the time approached, we made sure we had everything ready, and we waited in anticipation. When we went to the hospital, we made Facebook updates throughout the labor for our anxious family and friends. When Ethan was born, we called and celebrated with all our loved ones, and we posted pictures online to share.

I’m sure God made a lot of plans for Jesus’ birth as well. I’m sure he gave a lot of thought as to who Jesus’ mother and father should be. He considered where Jesus should be born and how everything should happen. And I’m sure when Jesus was born all of heaven was bursting at the seams with excitement. But no one on earth cared. No one noticed. I’m not sure even Joseph or Mary fully grasped what had happened. The angels finally found some shepherds, and they let out their joyful celebration!

My son was born in a great hospital, delivered by a very competent doctor and nursing staff, with more family present than could fit in the delivery room. My Savior was born in a small village, in a barn, with no one but Joseph and Mary to deliver and care for the baby. And no one to celebrate with. We had soft blankets and warm arms to welcome my son. My Savior had prickly hay and a feeding bin. We had a whole community of family and friends glued to Facebook in anticipation. My Savior had a whole world of apathy and disregard.

I don’t understand why God chose for Jesus to be born the way he was. As a Father, I’m sure He wanted so much more for His Son. But I have to wonder, how much has Jesus’ situation changed? Are we still apathetic towards Him, or are we exuberant? Do we excitedly share Him with our family and friends, or do we just sit there and wait. Do we offer Him our best, or are we content to give Him hay?

Chad Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment