Sunday, February 14, 2010

Looking Beyond the Labels by Tami Cinquemani

I find bumper stickers fascinating. Though adverse to adhering one to my own car, I enjoy reading the auto postings of cars around me at a red light. Whether commercial, political, sports-related, thought-provoking, or humorous, they can be seen as a window into the personality of the vehicle’s driver and an insight into their views. After all, if you’re driving the car, you’re promoting the label . . . right?

Several years ago, a friend was living with my husband and I while making a location transition. For some reason, my own car was unavailable, so my friend graciously offered me the use of his. While driving around town, I couldn’t help but notice the strange and curious looks I was getting as people drove by. One woman in particular looked at me and gestured with obvious hostility. I was perplexed. As the woman drove on I noticed an ichthys, or Jesus fish, on her bumper.

I arrived at my destination and exited my car. A man was walking by who looked at my car bumper, looked at me, shook his head, and walked on. It was when I saw the back of my car that I realized what had been causing the reactions. My friend is gay, and his bumper sported a small rainbow flag.

My understanding is that the rainbow flag is used in many cultures around the world to represent diversity and inclusiveness. In our culture it also represents gay pride. However, for the people passing the car I was driving that day, it represented an opportunity for judgment, disgust, and anger – all directed at someone unknown to them. I thought of the woman in the car with the Jesus fish and wondered if possibly she was borrowing a friend’s car as well.

Tami Cinquemani

1 comment: