Sunday, March 28, 2010

Prepared for Danger by Tami Cinquemani

I was recently reading an interview with a retired Navy Seal. The Seals are a branch of the Special Operations Forces of the United States Navy. Training for the Seals takes over a year, and it is some of the most grueling physically and emotionally challenging instruction ever imagined. Becoming a Navy Seal is voluntary, and at any time during this training, the candidates are given the option of ringing the brass bell and calling it quits. Most do.

Why was I reading about Navy Seals? No, I’m not a military enthusiast – I’m much more of a pacifist. Our church is currently in the midst of a series called “Dangerous Church.” This week’s topic was “Dangerous Situations.” So in preparing for our services, I Googled “dangerous situations,” and up popped the Seals. The training these individuals endure is mind-boggling, and its sole intention is to create a team of skilled and prepared leaders ready for any and all dangerous situations.

There was one particular section of their creed that struck me:

My loyalty to Country and Team is beyond reproach. I humbly serve as a Guardian to my fellow Americans always ready to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. I do not advertise the nature of my work or seek recognition for my actions. I voluntarily accept the inherent hazards of my profession placing the welfare and security of others before my own.

I serve with honor on and off the battlefield. The ability to control my emotions and my actions regardless of circumstances sets me apart from other men. Uncompromising integrity is my standard. My character and honor are steadfast.

Dangerous individuals in dangerous situations whose purpose is to “defend those who are unable to defend themselves” and who do not “seek recognition for” their actions. People who “serve with honor . . . regardless of circumstances” and with “uncompromising integrity” and whose “character and honor are steadfast”. Just imagine the difference a church would make in their community – in their world – if this were their reputation. That’s the kind of Dangerous Church I want to be a part of and the kind of Dangerous Christian I want to be.

Tami Cinquemani

No comments:

Post a Comment