Sunday, September 5, 2010

What if . . . by John Monday

Let’s play a hypothetical game.

If I discovered that there was, in fact, no God and this fact became irrefutable –

Then . . .

What benefit has my faith been?

Has it made me a better friend?

neighbor?

employee?

father?

husband?

Has it made me more or less tolerant?

judgmental?

generous?

happy?

As a result of my faith do I make others happy?

Do others feel accepted?

Do people want to be around me?

How about my church?

As a result of my church being in my community, are the hungry fed?

widows cared for?

sick comforted?

lonely loved?

homeless sheltered?

Here's the point: in a world that does not assume "God is", if all we have to offer is the "truth of God", then we have nothing to offer.

If our faith makes us less friendly, less kind, more judgmental, more angry, stingy, difficult employees, frightened –

If our church does not improve our community, does not seek justice, does not walk humbly and gratefully –

Then why would anyone want to worship our God?

John Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment