Sunday, March 6, 2011

Taking the Scenic Route by Chad Hess

I love efficiency. Truth be told, sometimes I’m a bit obsessive about being efficient. There are always so many things that need to be done that I can’t stand the thought of “wasting time.” I can get so focused on the end goal that I miss the benefits that come during the process of completing that goal. But I’ve learned over the years that rest is a necessary part of being efficient, and I’ve also learned the benefit that “interruptions” can bring.

Mark 5 tells the story of Jesus healing the daughter of a ruler named Jairus. In the middle of Jesus’ journey to the man’s house, he was interrupted by a woman with an “issue of blood.” Much to the dismay of the father whose daughter lay dying, Jesus stopped his journey to acknowledge the woman. The delay meant that Jairus’ daughter died, but this interruption led to an even greater miracle when Jesus raised her from the dead.

Last Saturday night, my family decided to go down to the Disney boardwalk. We took the “scenic route” to get there. We spent a while walking around the boardwalk at the pace of my one year old and then took the bus over to Downtown Disney to get some food. Finding that area too crowded, we took the bus back to the Boardwalk. All in all, it was a nice, wandering trip.

From my typical goal-focused approach, it was a very inefficient trip, but that night it didn’t bother me. It was clear that our goal was to simply get out of the house, walk around, and let our child burn off some steam. And, while it may have seemed like a long, inefficient trip, my son has been talking about his ride on the bus all week. I guess sometimes the "interruptions" are the most memorable moments in the journey.

Chad Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment