Sunday, June 19, 2011

What I Learned From My Dad by Chad Hess

I have learned many things from my dad - far too many to list in a blog. The older I get, and especially as I am a dad myself now, the more wisdom I realize my dad has. Two of the biggest lessons I have learned from my dad is to serve God according to the passions and gifts he has given me, and to work hard at whatever task I am doing. These may not be the most glamorous or most obvious lessons, but my dad’s not a glamorous or flashy kind of guy. He’s more quiet and practical.

My dad is a very hands-on, behind the scenes kind of guy. He has a servant’s heart and is always willing to help. The role of a deacon in the church is a pretty natural fit for him, and it’s a position I’ve seen him do for as long as I can remember in many different churches. I’m sure that, over the years, my dad has been asked to serve in many other positions, but he’s always been a deacon, sometimes the head deacon. When I was younger, I sometimes wondered why my dad never “moved up the ladder” to be an elder in the church, but now that I’m older, I realize there is no hierarchy in the church and the position of elder isn’t as good of a fit for my dad. He found his place to serve, and he doesn’t try to be something he isn’t.

Another lesson I have learned from my dad is to work hard at whatever task I am doing. My dad has had many jobs over the years, some not very prestigious. But whatever the job, he worked hard, he gave his all, and because of that, he excelled at the job.

I have applied these lessons in my own life, and I have discovered the happiness that comes from working hard and working within my gifts and passions. I’ve also discovered that I’m a lot more like my dad than I realized - but that’s a good thing . . . most of the time. :)

Happy Father’s Day to my dad and all the dads out there.

Chad Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment