Sunday, July 24, 2011

When Daddy Comin? by Chad Hess

For the past two weeks, I have been home with my family celebrating our new arrival! Since there is only so much I can do for our new baby, most of my time was spent playing with and taking care of our 20 month old son. I loved this time of bonding with him, and he loved the time with his daddy. I knew it would be difficult for him when I started back to work on Friday. Sure enough, Friday afternoon I got a text from my wife that our son was repeatedly asking “When Daddy comin?” No text has pierced my heart like that. He’s not really old enough to understand exactly why I’m not there. He just knows that he misses his daddy.

Sometimes I feel that way about God. I don’t fully understand why He doesn’t come; I just know that I miss Him. I want to see Him. I want to play with Him. I want Him to love on me. I know someday He will come, and we will go home. But until then, I wait with longing.

My experience with my son has also taught me one other thing: this longing to be together is even worse for the Father than it is for me.

Chad Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment