Monday, October 17, 2011

Rediscovering the High Road by Tami Cinquemani

I have friends who are of a variety of faiths or no faith at all. I have friends who are sold out to their political party – to the Right, the Left, and those in between – as well as friends who want nothing to do with politics. I have friends who have been hurt by prejudice and racism and others who struggle with judging others based on their culture, gender, or ethnicity. I have friends who are pet lovers and others who find life much happier without a feathered or furry friend. I have friends who are married and others who are single – either by divorce or loss of a spouse. I have friends who are straight and others who are gay. I have friends who have had children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren and others who have decided not to have children at all.

I am both blessed and challenged by these relationships. They force me to think outside of the box and understand that I live in a world where there is beauty in variety and richness in knowing others unlike myself. There is a kaleidoscope of people whom I appreciate, welcome, and admire – people with whom I enjoy sharing life and its diversity.

Facebook has become a wonderful “place” to gather with all of my friends in one place. It is because of this reality that I sometimes find deep frustration when viewing what fellow Christians post on Facebook.

As Christians, we profess a desire to follow Jesus – the epitome of grace and mercy. We treasure scriptures filled with direction to “Love your neighbor as yourself . . . Honor one another above yourselves . . . Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” These are faithful and regular church attenders who post comments, cartoons, and essays without any concern given to those who may be wounded. It’s not a respectful and thoughtful exchange – it is an aggressive and careless offering without regard for someone struggling with and finding identity with the very issues they flippantly malign.

Politics, sexuality, race, religion . . . the list goes on. I personally believe these topics can and should be discussed in a positive and respectful manner – even when there is a difference of opinion. This is where learning, understanding, and tolerance take place. However, most of what I see has no resemblance to honest and respectful thought. It is generally a cheap shot taken to smack someone down.

I know the standard response: “Can’t you take a joke?” “Come on, lighten up.” “If you don’t like it, just don’t read it.” Really?

Or there’s another attempt at justification: righteous discipline. After all, Jesus didn’t tread gently when clearing the temple. Well, here’s the thing: (1) We’re not Jesus, and (2) Jesus’ anger was directed at those who were misrepresenting who He is to those who needed Him.

It is so easy to throw stones and cast judgment from our computers. I wonder if these same comments would be made face-to-face, or if personal contact might cause pause before those hurtful words and thoughts are flung. I would like to think the eagerness to “share wisdom,” by offering scorching opinion and making snap judgments might be stalled when it is seen first-hand how they cut and hurt.

At the 2009 Willowcreek Leadership Summit, Gary Hamel stated that “Church has become a weekly convocation for the converted and the content.” How sad . . . and how true. If what we are hearing and experiencing at church does not challenge us and demand that we behave differently when we leave, why do we bother attending? If we put on a “Jesus face” and shake hands with our fellow believers then turn around and behave with unconcerned ugliness to our world, we are defaming and defacing the name of the God we claim to serve.

I believe our world is richer because of the variety of thought and opinion found on this journey of life. My hope is that, as we make the trip, those who profess Christianity rediscover their directions to the “high road.”

Tami Cinquemani

2 comments: