Sunday, September 9, 2012

Words of a Friend by Greg Creek


Over the course of my relatively short life I have bought and been given many books. When I was doing my course work, especially in my graduate program, the books were never ending. I always had a professor handing out a new book assignment or in-class assignment for reading. While I loved the content and some of the books I read, I never got EXCITED to be getting books.
           
It is very rare that I get a book where I know the author. Apparently I don’t roll in those circles. But, I recently received a book from a friend that was written by a pastor I had worked with for several years. Even though I had received many books, this one was different – I knew the author!
           
As I started to dig into the book, I was reminded of my pastor friend. It had been a little while since I had seen or talked with him. But as I read, I started remembering things about my friend. After a while, I could sense his cadence for the words I was reading. I started hearing his voice spill out from the pages. I was becoming acquainted with my friend again through the words he had written.
           
The thought struck me that this is the same opportunity afforded us with the Bible. We have an opportunity to get acquainted with our Friend. We have an opportunity to sense His cadence and hear His voice as we read.
           
To be reminded of this fact with a pretty tangible example was awesome for me. It inspired me to dig into the Word with a new approach and a new fervor. Our Friend is waiting for us. Will you join me in growing closer?

Greg Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment