Sunday, June 16, 2013

Leaving a Legacy by Greg Creek

My wife and I recently bought a new washer and dryer. A riveting open, I know. But for us, this was a big deal! This is the first time we’ve purchased a new set. We’ve owned used ones but, with a newborn and a dying dryer, we thought it was time. So, the delivery guys came and deposited them in all their pictured glory. One tiny problem – the dryer cord was too short to reach the plug! We ended up with a very expensive washer weight. 

It was 8:45pm, and the delivery guys had quite a day. I told them I could get the cord and put it in without any problems. They seemed skeptical, but in my head I was thinking, “Seriously, it’s just four little screws.” It was then I was reminded once again of the wonderful gift my grandfather had given me. 

My grandfather was an electrician for many years. Around the time he retired, my parents bought a new home, which included three rental mobile homes on the property as well. A myriad of electrical projects were spread all over the four residences, and my grandfather offered to come help. Upon his arrival, he quickly enlisted me to help him with all that needed to be done. 

Throughout those weeks, we replaced light fixtures, installed ceiling fans, ran new lights, replaced and installed new receptacles, and a bunch of other stuff I’m probably forgetting this many years later. But at 12 years old, this was pretty cool to be given an opportunity to participate. 

My grandfather didn’t just have me around as a tool fetcher. He was actually teaching me how to do things; I was the one doing the work. He would show me how to do something and then walk me through as he was doing it to make sure I got it. Then, he would turn the next one over to me. Project after project, I started learning more and more. 

My grandfather invested in me and taught me some really valuable parts of a trade. I will forever have that knowledge with me. In each of us, we have something valuable we can teach others. Maybe it is a trade like electrical work or plumbing, or maybe it’s a musical skill. It might even be something less tangible like having an upbeat attitude or teaching the importance of honesty. Whatever it is, I invite you to invest in someone. I invite you to so enrich the lives of those around you that you will forever be remembered. I invite you to make a difference. 

Greg Creek


No comments:

Post a Comment