Saturday, July 27, 2013

Running God Off The Road by Tami Cinquemani

I consider myself a very submissive driver.  I don’t get angry when people make mistakes.  I don’t rush to red lights.  I give the right of way at non-signaled intersections, and I always yield to cars signaling to enter my lane.  There’s nothing that frustrates me more than drivers who are either too distracted or too much in a hurry to allow others to merge.  The people that especially make me shake my head are the ones who actually speed up so you can’t get in front of them. 

I wish I could say this attitude carried over into my spiritual life.  But it doesn’t.  If my mind is set on something, I have a very difficult time slowing down to let God’s plan merge into the path I’ve set before myself.  Truth be told, sometimes I even speed things up, pretending I don’t even know He’s there trying to get my attention.  I’m like a child who plugs their ears and hums a tune when a parent is seeking their attention.  I don’t yield well when things don’t seem to be going my way.

History has proven to me the truth of Jeremiah 29:11:

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

But that doesn’t seem to make a difference when the next situation arises where God and I don’t see eye-to-eye.  I try to trust – I really do.  I try to yield to the One who sees the beginning from the end.  But it’s hard – and sometimes it really hurts. 

I guess it comes down to the question of who is better equipped to be in the driver’s seat.  I can reach for the steering wheel, or I can fall to my knees.  I do know that I can’t do both.


 Tami Cinquemani

No comments:

Post a Comment