Saturday, August 10, 2013

Soft Cheeks & Face-Covering Kisses by Todd Chobotar

The trip from Florida to Michigan was miserable. Though the cheap tickets were nice, the two layovers and three plane changes weren’t.  Bitter union problems had caused many flight delays and cancellations.  Travelers were edgy, irritated, and exhausted.

Finally arriving at our destination, my wife and I deplaned and slowly trudged up the tunnel toward the terminal–pushed along from behind by our grumpy fellow passengers.  Apparently not even the prospect of soon seeing family or friends could cheer our bedraggled bunch.  Stepping into the open terminal, our footfalls echoed through the morgue-like hall.  A sea of silent, somber faces met our eyes.   Clearly our greeters had grown as tired of waiting for the delayed flight as we.

Suddenly, a squeal of delight punctured the silence.  Then a squeaky scream.  “Auntie Jeannine!  Uncle Toooooodd!!”  The crowd split, forming an alleyway as yet another squeal of delight emanated from the back of the crowd.  Then came the bubbling laughter as the squealer bounded across the concourse–blond curls bobbing, blue eyes dancing, stuffed animal flying.  My bags hit the floor as my arms were suddenly filled with an exuberant five year-old girl.  Small arms encircled my neck, small legs clung to my rib cage, soft cheeks pressed into mine, and wet lips covered my face with happy greetings.  I could feel a warm smile spreading all the way down to my toes.  As my wife, Jeannine, joined the hug there were more kisses and lots of “I love you’s” to go around.

With all the fuss we were making, I turned rather sheepishly toward the waiting crowd of watchers wondering if all the noise had ruffled any feathers.  But to my relief, every face turned my way wore a deep smile.  The unabashed joy of my little niece, Taryn, brightened the entire terminal.  My own fatigue of body and spirit seemed to melt away as I was drawn immediately into a world of talking stuffed animals, brand new dresses, and a detailed account of specially baked cookies for Auntie Jeannine and Uncle Todd.

Sometimes I wonder what it will be like to arrive in the Kingdom of God after our long earth-journey is over.  Oh, I know there will be many things specially prepared for God’s children to enjoy.  Magnificent mansions will replace our tiresome terminals.  Huggable real animals will replace our huggable stuffed ones.  White robes of glory will outshine even our newest dresses.  And a specially prepared banquet will out-taste even our tastiest cookies.  Nothing but the best will do for God’s children coming home to his kingdom.

But I wonder what it will be like to meet God himself.  When I see him, will the greeting be anything like the experience with my niece?  Will there be squeals of delight, running of feet, hugs of joy, peals of laughter, and faces covered with happy kisses?  It almost sounds too . . . well, too earthy for meeting God.  Won’t there be a greater display of dignity?  More respect shown?  More reverence felt?  A more gracious greeting?  Perhaps.  God is our Creator, after all.  He is the King of Kings and Judge of the entire universe.  Certainly good reasons for us to show respect and restraint.

But maybe, just maybe, God loves a good hug as much as I do.

Maybe, like me, he enjoys the noise of bubbling laughter and squeals of delight.  Maybe his feet will be faster than mine as we run to greet each other.  Maybe he adores nothing more than soft cheeks pressed to his.  And maybe, just maybe, our heavenly Father relishes happy, face-covering kisses from all his kids–be they 5, 55, or 105.  I can’t wait to find out . . .

“Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.”  Mark 10:15  NRSV

Question: Have you ever wondered what it will be like to meet God someday? What do you imagine it will be like?  (Share your thoughts in the comments)

Guest Blogger and Member of FHC, Todd Chobotar
BLOG | http://www.ToddChobotar.com
TWITTER | http://www.twitter.com/ToddChobotar
FACEBOOK | http://www.facebook.com/ToddChobotar

No comments:

Post a Comment