Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Secret New Name by Todd Chobotar

I’ve been called a lot of names over the years. Some good, some bad, and some I can’t repeat.  But of all the names, two are among my favorites.  One comes from family and one from friends.  They’re nicknames.  Names given out of affection and friendship.

I know my parents meant well when they named me, but honestly I’ve never much cared for the name Todd.  Mostly because it’s rather common–and who likes to think of themselves as common?  I know dozens of guys named Todd.  Nice guys really.  But it always feels a bit strange meeting someone else who shares your name.  You think, Wait a minute.  That’s MY name.  I’ve had it my whole life.  It’s unique to me.  You can’t have my name.

Then there’s the uncomfortable feeling that comes with mistaken identity.  You’re in a public place and someone calls your name.  You turn around to respond only to discover with a flush of embarrassment that the greeting was meant for someone else.

Maybe that’s why I like my two nicknames so much.  They’re unique.  Different.  And they’re all mine.

The first nickname came from my family: Fuds (pronounced FUDZ).  Ever since I was a kid this has been my family name.  To the rest of the world I may have been plain old Todd, but to Mom and Dad I was Fuds–the baby of the family.  To my two older sisters, Sandy and Debbie, I’ve always been their little brother Fuds.

The name was derived from the famous Warner Bros. cartoon character Elmer Fudd.  You may remember Elmer Fudd as the intrepid rabbit hunter forever trying to bag Bugs Bunny.  His trademarks were his oversized bald head, his legendary nervous laughter and his mispronunciation of the letters r and l to sound like w.  As Bugs Bunny’s arch nemesis, Elmer Fudd spent countless cartoon capers stalking but never catching that “Wascawwy wabbit”.

I loved those animated adventures as a boy.  I could especially relate to Elmer Fudd because I shared the same embarrassing speech impediment as him.  Cruel kids often called me Elmer Fudd and mocked my mangled r’s and l’s.  Though I went to speech therapy to correct the problem, the taunts lived on long beyond the cure.  Knowing this, my family took the name used for my embarrassment and transformed it to a nickname of endearment.  Thus Elmer Fudd became Fuds.  Far from making me feel inferior, this new name made me feel special.  Special because I knew my family loved me despite any impediment I might ever have.  I will always be grateful to them for turning a term of belittling to a name of belonging.  For that’s what it is to me.  A name that shows I belong.

The second nickname came from friends:  Chobi (pronounced CHŌ-bee).  In high school and college it was not unusual for guys to call each other by their last names.  This was especially true if you had a common first name like mine that several other guys shared.  So among the boys I was called Chobotar.  But that’s a bit long and cumbersome to pronounce.  So with good friends, the name got shortened to Chobi.  My good friends still use that name today.  I like it.  It’s easier than my last name and more unique than my first name.  For me, it’s another name of belonging.

One of the quickest ways to put a smile on my face is to pick up the phone and hear the words “Hi Fuds” or “Hey Chobi”.  Because I know whoever is at the other end is either family or friends.  And I love talking to both.

Want to know something exciting about heaven?  Something that may put a smile on your face?  Each of us will have our own unique name there.  Look at this verse from Revelation 2:17:

“Everyone who is victorious will eat of the manna that has been hidden away in heaven.  And I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one knows except the one who receives it.”  (NLT)

In my Bible, those words are printed in red ink.  That means they are the words of Jesus.  They were spoken in a vision to the Apostle John about the rewards awaiting God’s people in paradise.  For those who are victorious over sin, Jesus promises to give Manna—the bread of heaven.  To those who overcome the struggles of this life, Jesus promises to give a white stone with a new name.  A different name.  A unique name.  A secret name.  Does this mean I will someday bid the common name of Todd goodbye?  I don’t know.  Maybe we will keep our earth-born names in heaven, and maybe we won’t.  But one thing for sure is that we will be given new names known only to our Savior and us.

I like the way Eugene Peterson paraphrases this same verse:

“I’ll give the sacred manna to every conqueror;  I’ll also give a clear, smooth stone inscribed with your new name, your secret new name.”

A secret new name.  Will it be a name of power?  A name of mystery?  A name of victory?  A name of affection?  We don’t know for sure.  What we do know is the God who made you, will someday rename you.  How will it happen?  No one knows for sure.  But I imagine it will be something special.

Perhaps it will happen after you’ve been in heaven for a few days.  You’ve walked the golden streets, splashed in the river of life and chatted with Esther, Adam or Moses.  You’re just about to head off on a sight-seeing trip to the Horse-Head Nebula when you see God approaching.  He asks if you have few minutes to spare.  “I have all eternity,” you reply.  With spreading smiles you steal away together to a quiet place.  There you sit and talk about trials and triumphs of life on earth.  You blush slightly when your maker calls you a conqueror.  But then your eyes pop open as he pulls a blazing white stone from his robe and places it in your hand.  There in letters shining with the colors of a rainbow is a name.  A secret name.  A private name that only you and your maker will know.  A special bond that cannot be broken.

Why would God go through the extravagant gesture of giving you a new name?  Because you are unique.  Because you are special.  Because you are his.

“…The Lord who created you says: ‘Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.  I have called you by name; you are mine.’”  Isaiah 43:1 NLT


Question: Do you have a favorite nickname that only your family or friends call you?  Are you willing to share it?  What do you like about it?  (Share your thoughts in the comments)

Guest Blogger and Member of FHC, Todd Chobotar
BLOG | http://www.ToddChobotar.comTWITTER | http://www.twitter.com/ToddChobotar
FACEBOOK | http://www.facebook.com/ToddChobotar

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Todd (I always think of the German of your name-Tod), my nicknames have been from high school Rich, Uncle Dickie, Maestro, Reverend Rich, el profesor. I enjoy a nickname as a special secret shared with friends, I look forward to my new name as well!

    ReplyDelete