Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Wisdom of Maya Angelou

This week I listened to a rebroadcast of NPR’s Diane Rhem Show that revisited an interview with Maya Angelou, who died this week.  As I contemplated what this woman overcame in contrast to the minutiae that I sometimes allow to discourage me, I whispered a prayer asking God to give me just an ounce of the grace to see good, passion to persist, and ability to forgive that this wonderful woman exemplified.

I thought it would be a fitting tribute as well as an inspiration to use this week’s FHC blog to feature just a sampling of the wisdom of Ms. Angelou.

Tami 

"I believe that each of us comes from the creator trailing wisps of glory."

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."

"Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud."

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back."

"You are the sum total of everything you've ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot - it's all there. Everything influences each of us, and because of that I try to make sure that my experiences are positive."

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

"Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope."

"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." 
  
"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option."

"I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life."

"It's one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody."

"We can learn to see each other and see ourselves in each other and recognize that human beings are more alike than we are unalike."

"If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be."

"The desire to reach the stars is ambitious. The desire to reach hearts is wise and most possible."

"Have enough courage to trust love one more time. And always one more time."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

"If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love."

"The truth is, no one of us can be free until everybody is free."

"Nothing can dim the light which shines from within."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

 “Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances."

"While one may encounter many defeats, one must not be defeated."


"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return."

1 comment:

  1. This is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing it Tami.

    Kenia

    ReplyDelete