Saturday, October 25, 2014

Redeeming Jazz in Gospel Ministry

I’ve always had struggles with preaching the gospel. Sometimes I think about others who have done it so well—the Old Testament prophets, John the Baptist, Jesus Christ, Paul, St. Patrick, Billy Graham—and I feel overwhelmed. Maybe it’s because of the way Christianity has been villainized in my lifetime.  Maybe it’s how I was raised.  Maybe I don’t believe enough.  Maybe.
           
I started taking our church jazz group to the local community jazz festival a few years ago with the intent of a being a church that uses their talents to join the community where they are. It has been successful to a degree of friendship, but it hasn’t been overtly evangelical.
           
Last year I played a gospel song for the first time with “Poor Wayfaring Stranger.” After the concert, my next-door neighbor, who is not a church attender, asked me why I seemed so apologetic when I introduced the song.  He thought it was fantastic. That moment was an epiphany to me.

This year we are playing mostly hymn tunes that are fantastically arranged for this medium. We will sing “He Keeps Me Singing” with the chorus line, “ Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, sweetest name I know; fills my every longing; keeps me singing as I go.” It’s quite a bold break from the past, and I’m eager to see what will happen.
           
Music philosopher Harold Best summed it up best for me when he said:

“Serving Christ while participating in culture in an elegant and reforming way can mean a thousand things in as many places. It can mean shoveling muck and bringing clean water to a barrio. It can mean writing a new praise chorus for a storefront congregation. It can mean translating the Scripture one more time for one more faraway tribe. It can mean taking old hymns and old ways and breathing new life into them. It can mean preaching simply yet eloquently, fearingly yet sweetly. It can mean praise songs cavorting with hymns, and drums conversing with organ sounds. It can mean complete freedom in the Lord and stupendous discipline finding common ground. It can mean Bach, blues, Monet, street art, child dance and ballet, homiletics and storytelling, barn raisings and homeless shelters, all found within the normal conversation of the believing church. Elegance, for the Christian, is simply a thousand actions washed in the blood and carrying the sweet savor of Jesus' love. It is, above all, the seamless garment of worship and witness.”

I’ll keep you posted on this journey.  Keep us in your prayers as we explore bold and creative ways to redeem culture for the sake of the kingdom.

Richard Hickam


No comments:

Post a Comment