Thursday, December 4, 2014

Looking for Thomas Kinkade

I've always enjoyed the paintings of Thomas Kinkade.  Also called the Painter of Light, Kinkade is known for glowing warm light and idyllic picturesque settings.  Many of his paintings evoke in me a sense of cozy warmth and love, with family members gathered around a warm fire while the snow falls outside.  It’s an ideal Christmas setting, and one for which I find myself wishing at times.  

And yet, every year at Christmas, the reality is quite different.  Schedules are hectic, stores are crowded, and money is tight.  Family get-togethers are often busy and over too soon.  Even the music that I love so much can start to get old.

But before you label me a Scrooge, please understand that Christmas is actually my favorite time of the year.  I love the picturesque images from Thomas Kinkade and Norman Rockwell not because they are real, but because they are a glimpse of the ideal.  At Christmastime you can see acts of kindness towards strangers, gifts of love to family, and simple joy and wonderment in the eyes of a child.  You may have to look past the selfishness and greed that are also prevalent at this time of year, but it is there. 

Glimpses of divinity in the midst of human brokenness; a fitting description of what happened on the first Christmas 2000 years ago.


Chad Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment