Sunday, June 21, 2009

Taking & Giving: How to Avoid Being Like the Dead Sea by David Achata

Last weekend, Danny Howell spoke on the same subject at our 3rd Service called Sojourn. Danny spoke to us about his relationship with his father as well as a number of mentors he's had in his life through the years. His point was simple: God blesses us for one reason – so we can be a blessing to others.

He told us about a conversation he had with his son, Daniel. Giving an illustration of what this looks like, Daniel pointed out that there are two seas in Israel. First there is the Sea of Galilee, which takes water and gives water. Then, Daniel added, there is another sea in Israel. But the second sea only takes water into itself; it is called the Dead Sea. Danny concluded that God wants us to be more like the Sea of Galilee than the Dead Sea. He wants us not only to take, but to give as well. As we journey in our spiritual lives with Jesus, here's a way this can happen: Mentor and be Mentored by someone.

Danny spoke with us about the value of reaching forward to be mentored by someone who has walked before us, thereby, taking. But he also gave us some helpful wisdom that, if we want to really make a difference in the world, we will not only take, but give. One way we can do this is to reach back and mentor someone younger, perhaps in the faith, or in age. When we do this, we are passing on the blessing that's been given to us.

Some may say, "But I have nothing to offer anyone else." Well, that may be a clue that you need to seek a mentor to lead you in your spiritual journey or perhaps another area of your life that you would like to grow in. I think too many of us have become used to being the Dead Sea.

Years ago I came to a place where I was not satisfied with my walk with Jesus. I lived in Michigan at the time, and it was winter. My life was beginning to mirror the weather outside – cold, stale and still. In a moment of proactivity, I picked up the phone and called my friend Ron. Ron is in his 50's and possesses wisdom I want, and I told him so. I asked him to mentor me, and that was seven years ago. We still talk weekly. Sometimes we study scripture, and we always pray together. I'll have to say, it's pretty nice to have someone like Ron in my life. But if I just took, I'd be the Dead Sea--this is why I give back. This is why I spend time with other young men and mentor them in various areas of life from time to time.

Someone may be thinking, "But you're a pastor; you have to do that." Not true. Being mentored and mentoring others has been so helpful to me that I would do it even if I weren’t a pastor. I don't think I could be content to just take, take, take. If I lived this way in the physical world, I'd get fat and die really fast. What, then, does this tell us about the spiritual world?

God blesses us so we can be a blessing to others. We need to take nourishment from God, from others, and thereby, grow. But we also need to give nourishment to others to remain healthy. Spiritual health comes from both taking and giving. That's how we avoid being like the Dead Sea

David Achata

No comments:

Post a Comment