Sunday, April 18, 2010

Patches of Righteousness by Chad Hess

When I was in high school, I had a pair of jeans that I really loved. They were well worn, and really comfortable. After a while, I got a hole in one of the knees. I loved how comfortable these jeans were, and I didn’t have money to buy new jeans, so I just put a patch over the hole. Over time, I got more rips and more patches. When the jeans finally ripped between two patches, I relented and threw them out. And yes, at the end the jeans looked as ridiculous as you are imagining with several different patches that didn’t match each other or the original pair of jeans.

I have realized that many of us take a similar approach with righteousness. We know that we have some problem areas in our lives, and we ask God to help us “patch” those areas. After all, we are pretty good people, and we are very comfortable with our lives. We just have a few areas that need some work.

However, Jesus didn’t come to patch up our old life; he came to give us a whole new life. "No one tears a piece of cloth from a new garment and puts it on an old garment; otherwise he will both tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old” (Luke 5:36). “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). The problem with our old way of life is not confined to a few areas; it is a systemic problem. That is why Jesus offers us a whole new life, a brand new garment. Let us embrace the new life that Jesus offers to us and leave our old lives in the trash where they belong.

Chad Hess

1 comment:

  1. Well said Chad,

    Jesus talked so much about total transformation, in the passage you cited as well as many others. Yet we try so hard to make ourselves better rather than allowing Christ to make us new.

    Thanks for your modern analogy of salvation.

    John

    ReplyDelete