Sunday, November 7, 2010

What Do I Stand For? by Tami Cinquemani

What is worth standing for? I had an experience several years ago that caused me to ask myself that question. It had nothing to with “taking a stand” but with actual physical standing. There have been times in my life where I have found reason to stand: holiday lines at Costco can take 20-30 minutes – about the same time I understand people stand in line at our local 4 Rivers Smokehouse for some of their famous brisket. But standing for 20-30 minutes? That’s nothing! I stood in line for over an hour to see the Sistine Chapel and about the same amount of time was spent on my feet waiting for the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.

We live right next door to Disney World, and who hasn’t stood in line there? I think my record is about 45 minutes, but according to personal accounts on the Internet, people happily stand for several hours at a time for the newest theme park ride. And what about concerts? Even with tickets in hand, people tell stories of standing in line for two (Justin Bieber) and three (Lady Gaga) hours to see their favorite artists.

So back to the experience that was the catalyst for my question: I was visiting a church, and early in the service the congregation was invited to stand while we sang. I was fine until we began the third song. “Come on!” I thought. There was a perfectly good chair right behind me. What’s the point? The worship leader finally told us we could sit down, and the service continued. A few weeks later, a guest vocal group sang a medley of tunes as a special at my church. The medley ended with a beautiful rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. Without direction, each person in attendance stood to his or her feet. It was a wonderful, emotional and meaningful moment.

It was at that moment that it hit me: If my natural reaction is to rise to my feet in honor and respect for my country, why is it that I feel so “put upon” when asked to stand while singing praises to God? When I was perfectly honest with myself I realized that I was willing to stand for great lengths of time for things that are temporal and somewhat meaningless, and yet I felt it was unreasonable to be asked to stand for 15 minutes to sing praises to the Almighty . . . the Creator . . . the Alpha and Omega . . . the I AM.

I don’t believe that sitting or standing while singing to God is a moral issue – a matter of “right” or “wrong”. I think God gladly hears our songs regardless of our posture, but that whole experience made me realize that I need to truly consider what I’m doing when I enter a worship service. Whether I’m singing or praying, listening or participating – I am in the presence of the One who deserves my wholehearted and willing attention – from my seat and from my feet.

Tami Cinquemani

No comments:

Post a Comment