Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Home Divided by Tami Cinquemani

Today is a high day in the Cinquemani home. Not since 1941 have the Chicago Bears met the Green Bay Packers in a playoff game. I am a native Chicagoan, and you can take the girl out of Chicago, but you can’t take Chicago out of the girl. My husband, Jeff, on the other hand, is from Wisconsin, where the Green Bay Packers have sold out every football game in Lambeau Field since 1960. He is an unapologetic Cheesehead. Family and friends from both sides of the field will join us for the game.

We are a home divided, and Jeff and I have both received emails and Facebook notes offering strategies to manage and survive the anticipated battle. We think it’s pretty sweet that there’s so much concern, but we’re actually looking forward to a great time – regardless of the outcome of the game.

Though beliefs, culture, history, and heritage have formed very strong biases in our loyalties, there’s an understanding that something greater draws us together than separates us. Besides – let’s face it – we like the fact that we’re not all on the same side because it makes the game so much more interesting. Do I want my team to win? Sure I do. But that doesn’t mean I need to disrespect my opponent. Nor does it mean I need to carry a grudge or make someone else’s life miserable if I lose.

We get to make these kinds of decisions all the time in life. Whether it is in the realm of religion, politics, sports, or a myriad of other forums, we should be able to celebrate our own views and philosophies without demonizing someone else’s. We should be able to coexist peacefully and respectfully in a world of diversity.

So, today we’ll be feasting on kolacky and hot wings (Chicago favorites) as well as kringle and cheese (Wisconsin staples), and at the end of the day, it will either be the Bears or the Packers who go on to fight for the Vince Lombardi trophy. Either way, it’s going to be a great Superbowl because either my team succeeds, or the team of those I care about does. That’s what I call a “good time had by all” . . . and a win/win situation!

Tami Cinquemani

1 comment:

  1. Tami, you are the best! I concur!! As usual, well-said. You are setting a great example for us all! Thank you for so much for sharing your thoughts!

    All the best,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete