Sunday, January 9, 2011

This is Only a Test by John Monday

When I was in school, I tested well. This is not to say I was always a good student. I just seemed to intuitively understand test structures. I augmented my testing skills by researching test techniques and patterns. On multiple-choice test (my personal favorite) the most frequent answer is C, and the second most frequent answer is B.

I learned that, even if you don’t know the answer, you can almost always rule out at least one or two of the choices. You can further enhance your chances by knowing your instructors verbal patterns. When they say something untrue, they’ll say it one way; when they say something true, they’ll say it another way. Those patterns can be applied to the tests they create. I became convinced that, if a class grade were based entirely on tests, I could get a solid B without studying the subject matter.

Last week I spent some time talking to a new friend who is struggling with some of the religious doctrines she’s held since childhood. For the first time she is asking hard questions of her faith, and she’s wondering: What’s true? and What’s important?

Of course, these kinds of questions rarely just pop up. They usually start with a crisis that sets our beliefs on a collision course with our life, or with a friend that believes differently and seems to have well-reasoned explanations for their belief. Maybe it’s a religious formula that doesn’t seem to be working. Wherever it starts, I’m pretty sure that true faith must pass through crisis.

So, as we discussed the events that sparked the questions in her life, the conversation seemed to keep circling back to one particular doctrine – a doctrine that, while not totally unique to our denomination, is somewhat unusual and has come to hold special end-time significance. While the doctrine may differ from one denomination to another, the fact that we hold a unique doctrine that seems to separate us from everyone else is by no means unique.

Many faith communities have some doctrine that is different and gains special significance, and no matter how much we spoke we kept coming back to this one. We discussed how Christ is the author and finisher of our salvation. We talked about our total inability to do anything to affect our redemption. We agreed that true unity can only be found in Christ, and we discussed how doctrines can be used to bind Christians together or to pull Christians apart.

After much exasperation, the heart of the matter finally came out when she said, more than asked, “but what if that really is the test at the end of time?” . . . the test.

What if her fears are realized and this doctrine is the test? Have I studied enough? Can I grit my teeth and push through with a B? Will I pass? What about all those that studied for a different test.

Finally, I realized the answer to this test is the same as every other test of faith. If this is indeed the test, then I fail. That’s it. If there is some special formula that must be adhered to in order to be saved, then I either have messed it up, or I surely will. If my salvation is dependant on my ability to pass any test, no matter how simple or complex, then I’m in trouble.

We are saved by faith and faith alone in Christ and Christ alone. There are no other choices. And if we’re operating in a “just in case mode” by saying, “I believe that Christ will save me, but I’m going to be ready for the test just in case,” then we’re doomed. Christ is clear; we either depend completely on him, or we don’t depend on him at all. He’s funny that way.

I’m firmly convinced that there is a test, and on the day the scores are read, I get to use the ultimate cheat. I can either get credit for my test or I can get credit for his. I know my choice.

So go forth, live free, have a little fun, don’t worry so much . . . the fix is in.

John Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment