Sunday, August 14, 2011

Grace Is No License to Sin by Andy McDonald

The two incidents weren’t two weeks apart – the dreaded, unnerving experience of being pulled over by a police officer. I wasn’t speeding. I didn’t run a light. I hadn’t ignored a stop sign. I couldn’t be accused of reckless driving. No, it was simply that I wasn’t wearing my seatbelt.

The first time I was coming around a corner and saw two motorcycle cops who were ticketing another driver. As soon as I saw them, I recognized the absence of my seatbelt, so I quickly reached over my shoulder, pulled it forward and clicked it in place. But as soon as I passed the officers, one of the motorcycles immediately pursued me and pulled me to the side of the road. Before he got to my window, I had my license and insurance in hand and was fumbling for the registration. He asked me why I took my seatbelt off when I approached them. I explained that I wasn’t taking it off – I was putting it on. Why in the world would I take it off as I approached them? A few minutes later he returned, gave me back my cards, and explained that he was only going to give me a warning. He also explained that, had he ticketed me, it would have been $116.00!

I was grateful to not be fined, but I was mad about the whole incident. Like every other citizen who might choose, I could ride a motorcycle down much of I-4 or the Turnpike at 70 mph with no helmet and expect no one to stop or fine me. But if I didn’t wear my seatbelt, sitting inside my car driving 25 mph in a residential area, it could cost me $116! Of course, I kept these thoughts to myself, simply thanked the officer, bucked my seatbelt, and continued on my way.

All too soon, I was again driving along, minding my own business, when a patrol car pulled up behind me, sounded his siren, and pulled me over. Once again, I was being very law-abiding when it came to speed, stop signs, and traffic lights, but on this short errand had, once again, failed to click my seatbelt in place. This time I was sure I would pop up on his computer as a “seatbelt violator,” and I’d be getting a ticket. But the officer was gracious and just gave me a warning. It was a different branch of law enforcement, and he said the ticket would have been $115.00. One again, I was grateful for grace.

Sometimes people accuse that if we give too much grace, offer grace too freely, or let people experience grace too often, that grace recipients will simply abuse grace. Even I have thought that on occasion. But my recent experience with receiving grace from two different law enforcement officers makes me think otherwise. Instead of creating some bold sense of presuming on grace, I clearly recognize my guilt, and I don’t want to push the limits of grace – wherever those might be. Instead, I am wearing my seatbelt more faithfully! Oh, I still sometimes simply forget; the habit isn’t habitual yet. But I’m better at buckling before I begin rolling and – even when I forget initially – as soon as I realize I’m not bucked up, I immediately remedy the situation!

Interestingly enough, I’m not doing so because a cop might be watching or out of fear of facing a fine. With this quick, double occurrence of receiving grace, I don’t want to presume upon it. It is grace experienced that motivates my buckling up. Grace really is “amazing” on so many fronts. What if everyone who has recognized they are recipients of God’s grace became grace dispensers to everyone they know and meet? It might just change the world.

Andy McDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment