Sunday, November 20, 2011

Changes in the Air by Greg Creek

In the last few months of living in Florida, I’ve had opportunities to venture outside the state. At some point during my trips away, I stop, notice the foliage, and think, “Oh yea, it’s Fall.” Living in Orlando, I don’t get to experience the seasons like I have grown accustomed to in different parts of the country. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ll be welcoming Christmas in a pair of shorts . . . which is just weird.

When living in a less tropical area, the first clue that Fall is upon me is usually the changing colors in the trees. Then I get confirmation of the season’s change by a blast of cold air when stepping outside. Trees that are always green and weather that is warm all the time has me thinking that nothing is really changing.

I was talking with a friend of mine a few weeks ago, and he was explaining to me the different growing seasons for fruits and vegetables in Florida. Until that point, I just assumed you could grow just about anything at any time in a tropical climate. That conversation made me realize that, despite what I thought, there were changes happening around me. Even though I was still walking around in shorts, it was cooler now than it was a few months ago.

The truth is, change is always happening, but I’m not always noticing. When I broaden that idea from the seasons to my life, it makes me wonder how much I’m missing around me because I’m not taking the time to notice. There’s an old saying that encourages us to “stop and smell the roses.” It makes me wonder if there are other important things happening around me that I may be missing because I’m too caught up in what I expect to see. Perhaps I need to stop and notice the foliage, even if its shades are more subtle and nuanced.

Greg Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment