Sunday, November 6, 2011

He's Watchin' You by Chad Hess

My two-year-old son has a stuffed frog that he loves. When I get him up in the morning, he brings it with him as comfort as he wakes up. A month or two ago when I sat him down for breakfast, he didn't want to let go of Froggy. So I put Froggy on the table next to him. He looked at Froggy with a grin and said, "Froggy's watchin' you.” Since then, we have done it every morning, and he loves it. The thought of his Froggy watching him gives him great delight and pleasure; it's comforting to him.

I find this an interesting juxtaposition to the way we typically react to the idea of God watching us. When I hear people say, "God is watching you," it is usually done in the context of judgment and "Be careful what you do or say." But it doesn't have to be this way. If we have a loving and committed relationship with God, we should be happy that God is watching us because it means God is with us. It means that he is watching over and protecting us. He is not a God of whom we have to be afraid. He is a God who loves us and wants to spend time with us. So I can be happy that God is with me – and I am comforted that he is watching over me.

Chad Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment