Sunday, February 19, 2012

Snap Out of It! by Tami Cinquemani

In an episode of the sitcom series, Everyone Loves Raymond, the main character, Ray Romano, was traveling with his family to Italy. Unfortunately, when they arrived at their destination, Ray had a terrible head cold. As the rest of the family was enjoying the sights, sounds, and tastes of Italy, Ray was miserable and had no comprehension of the joy the rest of his clan was experiencing. As much as his wife, Debra, would try to explain the delight of culinary treats she was enjoying, Ray couldn’t comprehend.

Then the cold broke, Ray’s sinuses cleared, and he had his first taste of the delicacies he had only heard of up until that point. He about went ballistic. He couldn’t get enough. As he desperately shoveled as much food into his mouth as physically possible, he knew he would never get it all. Alas, it was the end of the trip, and he would have to console himself with the promise of some day returning to his country of origin.

“And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere – in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

After saying this, he was taken up into a cloud while they were watching, and they could no longer see him. As they strained to see him rising into heaven, two white-robed men suddenly stood among them. “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday he will return from heaven in the same way you saw him go!” Acts 1:8-11 (NLT)

The disciples lived with Jesus for three years. They rubbed shoulders with the Almighty. They ate with the Prince of peace. They lived life with the Savior of all mankind. He was right in front of them, and he tried to tell them about his purpose and his plan, but they didn’t get it. Traveling, teaching, and miracles followed by betrayals, the cross, and a resurrection. Then, just as their mind fog was starting to lift and the realization of what happened was beginning to make sense, he was leaving. I can just imagine what they must have been thinking as they stood watching his departure. “Wait! We’re just starting to get it! You can’t leave now!”

“Why are you standing here staring into heaven?” In so many words, I think the angel was telling the disciples, “Don’t just stand there! Snap out of it! Close your mouths, pull yourselves together, and get to work!”

I understand Ray’s frustration. I’ve been to Italy, and there’s never enough time. It’s hard to leave when there is still so much to see, do, and EAT! I also understand the disciples’ fear. I chose to follow Jesus over 30 years ago, but there’s so much about him that I don’t know. Seriously, it would take more than a lifetime to fully explore Italy, and never in a thousand lifetimes could I fully comprehend the magnitude of my Savior.

When I get a craving for the potato gnocchi of Florence or long to sit on the steps of Orvietto’s duomo while relishing a grapefruit gelato, I remind myself that I will return to Italy some day.

And when I begin to question my fitness for the calling God has put on my heart and foolishly believe it’s my knowledge or my effort that matters, I read encouragement in scripture:

“My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9 (KJV)

“Behold, I am with you always.” Matthew 28:20 (ESV)

“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5 (NIV)

“Don’t just stand there! Snap out of it! Close your mouth, pull yourself together, and get to work!” Acts 1:11 (NTT – New Tami Translation)

Tami Cinquemani

No comments:

Post a Comment