Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Ultimate Job Opportunity by Shae Beery

In trying to prepare for my last job interview, I sought to put out the best “product” of me, and it was maddening. I wanted the job very much and was determined to do everything in my power to impress my future employer. I got online and researched interview attire, power words, interview styles, poise, resume’ builders, questions to ask, topics to avoid, etc. I read about current news in the field I was applying in an effort to pump up my skills and knowledge base. If there was a trick or tool to “present” me in the best light, I was willing to do it.

I was trying to “package” myself in the most appealing way I could. A whole marketing team could have been hired to make me look good. My hair could have changed, my clothes could have been upgraded, and spin words could have been used to turn my little resume into a spectacular professional curriculum vita. And all those tricks could have got me in the door . . . actually, some of those tricks DID get me in the door.

Still, as much as the interview was a necessary step in obtaining the job, the real work was whether I could deliver on my claim of being a competent employee. Could I perform the tasks asked of me? Would I be a likable co-worker? Should my work reflect my current skill level, or should I push beyond what I really know? So many factors to consider and implement on my road to being an impressive employee. It’s lots of pressure. Where is my marketing team now????

1 John 2:4-6

“If someone claims, “I know him well!” but doesn’t keep his commandments, he’s obviously a liar. His life doesn’t match his words. But the one who keeps God’s word is the person in whom we see God’s mature love. This is the only way to be sure we’re in God. Anyone who claims to be intimate with God ought to live the same kind of life Jesus lived.”

Why, if we put so much energy into obtaining a job of earthly gain, do we not put in the same amount of thought and energy into cultivating the love and grace of our heavenly Father? The truth is, some of us do. There are many devoted followers of Christ who are constantly researching, learning, and ready to share whenever someone “interviews” them on their beliefs and our God. But still, there are a lot of us who are spending far more time reading Time Magazine and checking our Facebook status instead of spending time in the Word.

There are so many amazing authors who can challenge, educate, and inspire us on our journey of “Christ follower,” but are we reading? Are we researching? Have we assembled our marketing team in anticipation of the interview and job? Whether you know more about Kim Kardashian than Kay Kuzma doesn’t really matter as long as you have equipped yourself for the thing that matters most – knowing Jesus. Our God deserves our loyalty, our energy, and our commitment to the position of his chosen one. We receive all the benefits of the appointment whether we aced the interview or not. So in this time of economic uncertainty, of political controversy, and personal strife, lets not forget the One who has granted us the ultimate job and promises to deliver on all the benefits!

Shae Beery

No comments:

Post a Comment