Sunday, July 22, 2012

What's Playing on God's iPod? by Richard Hickam



Do you ever wonder what kind of music God likes?

Does He like music about other things beside Himself?
Does He like music that talks about our problems?
Does He like music that has dissonance?
Does He like rap music?
Does He have an affinity for 18th century choral tradition of planet Earth’s western society?
Does God compose music?
Does God play an instrument?
Does God sing?
Does God dance?
Does God care about musical genres, or is He above all that?

I remember the day I read the following from William Young’s book, The Shack, where Mack is talking with God about the music on Her iPod (in his book, Young portrays God as a large, black woman):

He inquired, “May I ask what you’re listening to?”

“You really wanna know?”

“Sure.” Now Mack was curious.

“West Coast Juice. Group called Diatribe and an album that isn’t even out yet called Heart Trips. Actually,” she winked at Mack, “these kids haven’t even been born yet.”

“Right,” Mack responded, more than a little incredulous. “West Coast Juice, huh? It doesn’t sound very religious.”

“Oh, trust me, it’s not. More like Eurasian funk and blues with a message, and a great beat.” She sidestepped toward Mack as if she were doing a dance move and clapped. Mack stepped back.

“So God listens to funk?” Mack had never heard “funk” talked about in any properly righteous terms. “I thought you would be listening to George Beverly Shea or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir—you know, something churchier.”

“Now see here, Mackenzie. You don’t have to be lookin’ out for me. I listen to everything—and not just to the music itself, but the hearts behind it. Don’t you remember your seminary classes? These kids ain’t saying anything I haven’t heard before; they’re just full of vinegar and fizz. Lots of anger and, I must say, with some good reason too. They’re just some of my kids, showin’ and spoutin’ off. I am especially fond of those boys, you know. Yup, I’ll be keeping my eye on ‘em.”

As God looks down and mingles with the totality of His children here, does he limit His listening pleasure?

Kind of stretches the mind, doesn’t it?  The Bible is very clear that we cannot understand the mind of God . . .

“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. Isaiah 55:8-NLT

“Then the Lord spoke to Job . . . Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
Tell me, if you know so much.” Job 38:1,4 (actually – the entirety of Job, Chapters 38-41, until Job finally acknowledges:  “You asked, ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?’
It is I—and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me.” Job 42:3)

. . . so what makes us think we could decipher His musical tastes?

I happily jam away on my own iPod to newgrass, classical, and the occasional CCM, but how much better must be the “Music of the Spheres?”  Personally, I can’t wait until I can hear it for myself.

Richard Hickam


No comments:

Post a Comment