Sunday, July 29, 2012

Why I Do What I Do by Greg Creek


The last several weeks have been a blur of hard work and absolute fun. In fact, as I write this I am a few short hours away from a weekend full of memories with a group of high school students. And yet, I find myself...unsatisfied, or maybe searching...struggling? I am not sure.

I’ve been terrified for over a month. With all of the different activities that have happened, one right after the other, it hasn’t given me much time to feel that each event has been adequately planned. I find myself worrying about what’s next, how it will get done, and who will be there to help accomplish it. I’m afraid I’ll mess something up and an event, which can at times in my line of work mean a life, will be adversely affected.

At the end of each landmark, though, I realize that God has given me incredible opportunities to connect with young people, to serve people, and to let others know about His goodness and love. Yes, the planning is important, but at some point the planning needs to stop and the living needs to begin.

Perhaps it’s because I haven’t had the time to really reflect on how good God has been this month that I have been constantly worrying about the next step. Instead of being able to ponder His faithfulness to me, I look ahead. Even now, I’m thinking ahead to our next youth program. But in the midst of my lack of trust in God, He gave me an amazing gift: He reminded me why I do what I do.

At the end of service camp, I realized . . . I love my job! Now that doesn’t mean that I hated it before, just that those opportunities of service with young people is why I got into pastoral ministry. And in those moments, the lack of satisfaction, or searching, or struggling, or whatever it is causing that knot in my stomach, just disappears.

The amazing thing is, God has called each one of us to serve Him in ways that, while glorifying Him, bring us joy, too. I don’t know if you’ve found the area or areas that make you grateful, but I encourage you to find them, and when you get there, do as I say and not as I do – enjoy them. :)

Greg Creek

1 comment:

  1. I think you've been working too hard and you're just mumbling now.

    ReplyDelete