Sunday, August 26, 2012

Not Leaving Fantasy to Chance by Tami Cinquemani


I have three Fantasy Football teams this year, and my first team’s draft was yesterday.  It is also my most challenging league because it’s an IDP league.  Those reading this who understand what that means are groaning.  If you’re unfamiliar with the term, it means that, along with individual offensive players and a team defense, you also draft and play Individual Defensive Players (IDP).  In this case, it means that I manage a 20-member team each week for this league – about twice the amount of players on each of my other leagues.

I’ve never been able to participate in the live draft for this league, and so I have left my team to chance, and the computer has automatically chosen for me.  It’s always been fun to play, but quite honestly, I knew I could do better.  During the season I’ve been able to manipulate things a bit so I actually win a game or two, but I’ve never had a hope of making it to the finals.  I have managed a mediocre team in a tough league.  In other words, I got out of my team about the same kind of effort that I put into it.

I was determined things would be different this year.  I had every intention of being available for the live draft and hand-picking a stellar team.  However, knowing that there is always a possibility that I could miss the draft, I did my homework.  Not only did I research the players, I researched strategies for drafting – specifically in an IDP league.  I made my list of the top 50 players I wanted on my team, and I took the time to create a pre-draft queue.

As it turned out, the live draft came and went before I was able to get to my computer.  I missed it again this year, but my expectations were high.  I had acted on my desire to take this seriously.  I had put the effort in.  I was intentional in my preparation.  And . . . I have a really killer team!  I still had some tweaking to do, but not the complete overhaul I faced in years past.  I am so excited!!

Ecclesiastes 9: 10 says, “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might,” and Colossians 3: 23 states, “Whatever you do, work at it with all of your heart.”  I think God has created us for something greater than mediocrity.  It’s pretty clear to me that I’m not satisfied with it in my Fantasy Football teams, so why do I so often settle for it in the things in my life that really matter?

How many times do I put all the work needed into my relationships, my health, or my spiritual maturity?  Sometimes when I think about the energy necessary or the intentional effort required, it seems so much more appealing to engage the auto pilot and leave things to chance – to go with the automatic draft and think I can get by with a mediocre team in a tough league.

We were created for so much more.  In John 10:10 Christ tells us, “I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”  Other translations of this verse use words like “satisfying,” “rich,” “fullness,” “to the full, till it overflows,” “more and better life than they ever dreamed of.” Nothing mediocre there.  

Relationships take effort.  A healthy life takes sacrifice.  Spiritual maturity takes intentionality.  If I want life that’s “full till it overflows,” I can’t leave it to chance.

Tami Cinquemani



No comments:

Post a Comment