Sunday, November 25, 2012

Do You Hear What I Hear by Richard Hickam


An annual Christmas favorite, this song has been famously recorded by the Harry Simeone Chorale, Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis, and Carrie Underwood . . . to name just a few.

From the whispering wind to people everywhere, "Do You Hear What I Hear?" asks several questions including: Do you see? Do you know? and Listen to what I say – all referencing the Christ child. What is less known about this song is that it was written as a peace effort by husband-and-wife team, Noel and Gloria Regney, in 1962 during the Cuban missile crisis. Not necessarily what you would put together, is it?

I was recently reading Leonard Sweet's book, Nudge, and he had this to say about it:

Christianity is not about “Do you believe?” but “Do you hear?” Do you hear something different from what the world hears? Followers of Jesus hear something different . . . “Do you hear what I hear?” rings the Christmas carol. Evangelism is not getting people to believe this or that and they will be saved. Evangelism is getting people to hear it for themselves. Christianity is a nudge to the listener: “I’m hearing something amazing. Do you hear it? I hear a star … do you hear what I hear? I hear a song … do you hear what I hear? I hear a child … do you hear what I hear? I hear cries of goodness and light in midst of badness and gloom … do you hear what I hear? I hear a cross … do you hear what I hear?” One of the greatest compliments a nudger can ever receive is this: “I can hear the song/star/child/cross in your voice.”

So, in the coming weeks as you hear some artists’ rendition of "Do You Hear?" ask yourself, "What is it that those around me are hearing from me?"

Richard Hickam

No comments:

Post a Comment