Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Symphony of Unity by Greg Creek


This weekend I experienced an incredible day at church. Interestingly, church was almost over by the time I realized what was happening. It was as I was writing a Facebook post before the last service started that the immensity of the day struck me.

Along with an always incredible core of musicians, we added a “few” friends - a 20 piece orchestra. The orchestra came from a high school where many of our church’s students attend. However, the majority of the students in the orchestra are from churches all over central Florida, and even a few from outside of Florida. It was that realization that showed me how incredible the day was.

Christians have a reputation for being exclusive. Strangely, Christians are even more exclusive, and at times petty, vindictive, and territorial when it comes to dealing with other Christians and other churches. So having all of these people from a variety of churches unified in worship was powerful. As I was writing that Facebook post, I realized what was happening.

None of the represented churches could have done musically on their own what happened that day. It was only as we were unified that amazing and powerful things happened. As I reflect on this, I wonder how much more Christ would be known if we came together more often. What if music and a myriad of other things brought us together to proclaim Christ? What if more things brought us together than kept us apart? I get chills just thinking about it.

Let's put away our petty posturing and unite under the charge that Christ gave us: loving people and deepening our relationship with Him. Let's unite in the symphony of salvation and be a part of something beautiful.

Greg Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment