Sunday, April 21, 2013

This Is Not Where I Belong by Tami Cinquemani


This has been a hard week.  Watching helplessly as tragedy and sadness fall on those around you is frustrating and difficult.  The events in Boston, Central Texas, and China and the death of a church member leave so many questions unanswered.

What was in the mind(s) of the individual(s) who made a choice and took the steps to cause injury and death in what should have been a celebration of endurance and commitment in Boston?  Where is the sense or the purpose in such an act?

And why would the wife of a devoted husband and mother of a young family take her last breath after fighting for years against a disease that refused to allow her the joy and satisfaction of raising her three small children to adulthood?  Where is the sense or the purpose in such a loss?

I read comments on news reports from Boston thanking God for his protection, care, or providence in keeping loved ones safe.  And I wonder if, in making these remarks, people even consider that, if it was God’s choice, God’s decision, God’s plan that THEIR loved one was saved, wouldn’t it also be true that it was God’s choice, decision, and plan that others suffered devastating loss?

How do I, as a Christian, navigate this dichotomy? For me personally, I have come to the conclusion that sometimes there are no answers.  We may want to see things as part of some great plan, but sometimes there’s just chaos.  It is in those times that I need to take inventory of the things of which I am sure. 

I am sure a God of unsurpassed power and limitless perfection created all things.  I am sure sin, suffering, and death were not God’s intention.  I am sure that God has been misunderstood and misrepresented throughout the ages, and that is why Jesus, who is fully God, became a man so we could finally see God clearly represented.  I am sure Jesus shows me a God of unconditional love, unreserved acceptance, and absolute grace.  I am sure that, because of Jesus, one day every person who longs to spend eternity with this God will have their heart’s desire.  Finally, I am extremely sure that I am not the intellectual, physical, or spiritual equivalent of God and, therefore, cannot fully comprehend all things.  However, I do understand that life in this world is not the way it was meant to be and is not the way it will always be, but this is the way things are right now.

Sometimes it feels like I'm watching from the outside.
Sometimes it feels like I'm breathing, but am I alive?
I won't keep searching for answers that aren't here to find.

So when the walls come falling down on me,
And when I'm lost in the current of a raging sea,
I have this blessed assurance holding me.

All I know is I'm not home yet;
This is not where I belong.
Take this world and give me Jesus.
This is not where I belong.*

“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” 

I believe these words from Jeremiah 29:11 are God’s plan – and His promise.  I believe that God mourns with us because what He created as perfection and beauty has been taken over by heartbreak and ugliness.  I believe that Jesus is my brother, my friend, my Savior, and my God.  I believe that my faith right now is like “looking through a glass darkly,” but some day it will all be made clear.  I realize some may see this as blind faith, a Pollyanna worldview, and naïve ignorance.  I only hope and pray that my time on this broken planet will prove just the opposite – that my faith is bold, my worldview is hopeful, and my reason is born from a solid relationship with a holy and merciful God. So I will live in this world, and I will embrace those who walk it with me and the journey set before me, but I know we were all created for so much more.

Take this world and give me Jesus.  This is not where I belong.

Tami Cinquemani


1 comment: