Sunday, April 28, 2013

Shabbat Shalom by Richard Hickam


Shabbat Shalom were the words that greeting me over and over as I entered Oveh Shalom Congregation in Maitland on Friday night. I had met with Cantor Robuck (the musical leader of the congregation) a week earlier, and he told me about this once-a-month Friday evening celebration to welcome the Sabbath with a live band.

Adventists often feel a special kinship to Jews, as being the Christian heirs to the Sabbath. It’s kind of like having a distant rock star relative who was big in the 70s.

When I saw the Cantor, he was bringing out a basket of personalized egg shakers with the words “Friday Night Chai (Live)” engraved on them. He let me know to feel free to shake it anytime I felt like it during the music.

Promptly at 7:30 p.m., the music began and didn't let up for an hour except for intermittent scripture readings. We followed the numbers the Cantor gave us in the worship book to sing; of course, the big challenge was the pages going backwards and the words largely being in Hebrew. He provided modern accompaniment stylings interspersed with traditional Jewish melodies. Most of the music was upbeat, lively, and joyful in nature. The egg shakers were busy during those tunes. There were also contrasting, contemplative numbers that were reflective and somber.

I have a good friend, Andy Nash, who is a writer and educator.  Andy wrote a book entitled Growing Up Adventist and regularly engages in the media with thoughts about the past and future of our denomination.  Andy recently made a trip with his daughters to the Holy Land.  Friday night reminded me of Andy’s description of welcoming in the Sabbath in Jerusalem, with children dancing and it being very celebratory. Andy had voiced to me his wish that we could have more of that sentiment in our own Friday night get togethers.

My take-aways from this experience?  The sign on the door that asked that we not use our phones in the service, and hence, the congregation was much more engaged. Another noticeable difference was the closeness of all the families. Finally, I learned several great things from my neighbors, but I wouldn’t have learned anything if I wouldn’t have gotten out of my routine and comfort zone and tried something new.

Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you. Don’t curse them; pray that God will bless them. Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with each other. Don’t be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don’t think you know it all!

Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.  Roman 12:10-18

Our recent “Messy Church” series has challenged us to embrace the diversity of generational, cultural, and stylistic variety in our church family during worship.  It’s an even messier, albeit more beautiful,  table when we move beyond our family into the neighborhood around us.

Richard Hickam

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting and thought provoking Richard. I want to go! I am a little heart-broken thinking about everything we miss out on by keeping ourself seperate from other believers.

    ReplyDelete