Saturday, September 21, 2013

Composing a Psalm - Part 1 by Richard Hickam

This week I wanted to let you into the writing process of a musician. There are any number of ways you can do this. Some write a melody first, then lyrics. Some only write one part  and share the duties with another (Elton John and Bernie Taupin have this arrangement). In this example, I have written a verse followed by a chorus. The verse is stable, and the chorus is unstable. By that I mean that, in the verse, I have an even number of lines with some rhyming going on and a close number of syllables. Contrasting that, the chorus does not have that scheme. I have composed one verse and a chorus. 

So what do you think it will sound like?

Can you hear a melody in your head?

Will the tonality be happy? sad? mysterious? thoughtful?

Stay tuned in a couple weeks for my next time around, and I’ll have a finished product of praise!

The Faithful Will Gather

I feel your presence though I cannot see
your very being is a mystery
My longing for you is never ending
one day I'll see you when I'm ascending

You alone are God of all
You are the one who'll make things right
Your enemies will fall that final day
and the faithful will gather to give you praise
and the faithful will gather

Richard Hickam

No comments:

Post a Comment