Saturday, September 14, 2013

LOVE. Period. by Tami Cinquemani

“It all makes sense now. Gay marriage and marijuana being legalized on the same day.  Leviticus 20:13 – 'if a man lays with another man, as with a woman, he should be stoned.' We’ve just been interpreting it wrong all along.”

When I first saw this post on Facebook, I had to laugh out loud.  It was nice to actually find humor in something that included both Christianity and the LGBTQ community because, quite honestly, most of what I read, hear, or see when these two entities are together makes me want to cry. 

I believe people in the LGBTQ community have been marginalized by many Christians, and if we are sincere about living a life that reflects Jesus, it needs to stop.  There . . . I said it.  I’m not asking anyone to share my views of what scripture says about the gay community, but I am begging those who insist on judging and then condemning this demographic to cease and desist. 

Let’s be honest with each other.  There are intelligent and dedicated theologians on both sides of the aisle when it comes to understanding what the Bible has to say about homosexual relationships.  This is not a “slam-dunk” issue.  Seriously, if we can’t even agree on music styles in worship, literal or non-literal days of creation, or women in ministry, can we really expect to be in agreement on this? But that’s not really the point, is it?

There are plenty of things that seem unclear in the Bible and are up for debate.  However, there is one overriding powerful directive that Jesus makes very clear:

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”  Matthew 22:36-40

Love, simply love.  Not love, UNLESS.  Or love, IF.  It’s LOVE. Period.  Are we really concerned with offering too much grace?  Jesus sure seemed pretty indiscriminate as far as whom He accepted.  Yet Christians have a sad history of devaluing what is precious to God – whether it is by gender, race, or sexual preference. I don’t know about you, but I’m a pretty messed up sinner who’s delighted and relieved that I am loved and accepted by my God. Do we think we need to be more exclusive than our Savior?

Statistically speaking, our employee, our neighbor, our friend, our child, or we ourselves either know someone or identify with someone who is gay.  My church’s mission statement is to “Love people into a lifelong friendship with God.”  There are no disclaimers in that statement – no “unless they are . . . “ tag lines.  I want to live a life that reflects the whole truth of Jesus.  This means that ALL PEOPLE are created, loved, and accepted by God and ALL PEOPLE are welcome into my life, my church, and my church family. 

LOVE.  Period.

Tami Cinquemani

1 comment: