Saturday, October 26, 2013

Bring on October!

Shannon is a young woman from FHC who graduated from high school this past fall.  As graduation came closer, she decided to take a gap year before starting college to spend some time in the mission field since she had always been drawn to mission work.  In answer to much prayer, God presented Shannon with an amazing opportunity in Lunsar, Sierra Leone.

Shannon left on July 4 for four months in Sierra Leone with the parents of another FHC member. This was a return trip for them, and they had spent the last three years gathering donated sewing machines and sewing supplies to set up a women’s vocational center. They had been praying that God would provide someone to accompany them on this trip.  Several people had shown interest, but no one would commit.  The opportunity was presented to Shannon on May 4 and, seeing God's fingerprints all over it, the decision was made. Shannon's purpose would be to connect with the children (her gift), and she has had many wonderful opportunities to do that.  

An excerpt from a recent email from Shannon follows:

In preparation for coming to Sierra Leone, I talked with Ms. Shae, a friend from church who has spent considerable time doing missions in Africa.  She warned me in advance that the first month is the “honeymoon stage,” quickly followed by the second month in which the newness of it all wears off and you ask yourself, “What did I get myself into?”  The third month, she explained, is when you really come to love where you are and what you’re doing, and when you can begin to see God’s hand at work.  In mulling it over, I summarized her advice like this:
         
Second is the worst;
First is the best;
Third is the one with the treasure chest.

Thank you, Ms. Shae, for your wise guidance – it is so true!  I spent the whole of July enthralled with Africa and feeling like quite the "important little missionary."  Right on cue, though, during the first week of August I had a meltdown which pretty much lasted the entire thirty days.  I hated the heat, I hated the spiders, and I hated the fatigue.  I missed my family, I missed my friends, and I missed home.  I was disappointed in myself, in God, and in some of the people I was working with. 

Now it is September.  I still don’t like the heat, the spiders, and the fatigue.  I still miss my family, my friends, and home.  I am still often frustrated with myself and with some of the people I’m working with.  But I am no longer disappointed in God.  He does not owe me an explanation (or anything else, for that matter).  He does not need me to help Him do His work (but He loves me enough to let me be blessed by helping Him, if I’m willing to obey).  He does not stand distant from my life, waiting for me to get it right (instead He wants to be my Life, wants me to trust Him to get it – and me – right). 

He is good, He is Life, He is Love, He is all I need.  Bring on October!

No comments:

Post a Comment