Saturday, November 16, 2013

Composing a Psalm, Part 2 by Richard Hickam

Listen to this song, and join me on a song-writing journey:



It has been a few weeks since I wrote the lyrics for this Psalm. As I was considering the musical style to accompany the words, I focused in on the word “mystery.” God is beyond my understanding, and his ways are not my ways.  How will things will play out on the final day of Earth’s history?  This seemed like a good musical theme to base this Psalm around. I came up with a “mysterious” acoustic guitar riff that felt like a good fit.

The next phase of songwriting was to try and match the lyrics to the music, both rhythmically and melodically. The particular challenge in this piece is that I intentionally mismatched the number of syllables to create a sense of imbalance. I played through my chords and hummed a melody until I was satisfied. I added just a touch of harmony at the end for effect.

The final step was to play and sing the piece into my computer. I have to admit, it took several attempts on both the vocals and the guitar. I then adjusted the guitar and vocal levels in the mix to balance out the parts. I finally uploaded the file to my Soundcloud account.

I learned many things in my first attempt at writing a Psalm. My first hope is that this Psalm is a fragrant offering to God. Secondly, I would hope that anyone reading this might get out their pen, accordion, paint brush, or computer and put into action that thing that God has put into your heart for his glory. If I can make a first attempt in my mid-40s, you can do it!

Blessings,


Richard Hickam

No comments:

Post a Comment