Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Adventist Sub-Culture by Chad Hess

My life has been entrenched in Adventist sub-culture. I attended Adventist schools from first grade through college. I’ve lived in the dorm, I’ve gone vegetarian, I sold books door-to-door, and I’ve worked at summer camp. In fact, in the 13 years that I’ve worked, I’ve only had one job that was not at an Adventist institution. In that job, I realized how very different I was from my coworkers who were not Christian. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Their lifestyle of drinking and partying held no appeal for me whatsoever. We lived in two completely different worlds.

One of the primary purposes of the church is to “make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19). But how can you build a relationship with someone if you have nothing in common with them? During the times in my life when I have been most entrenched in Adventist sub-culture, I even found it uncomfortable to relate to Christians of other denominations. They didn’t understand academy life. They didn’t understand the religious phrases that I threw around (and I couldn’t explain the phrases either). Differences of belief would crop up in the most innocent of places. And that was just with other Christians! How can I fulfill the great commission of making disciples of non-Christians when I can barely interact with other Christians who are only a little different than I am?

Last week, I read for class The First Apology of Justin Martyr. It was a defense of Christianity written to the Roman emperor in the second century AD. In the letter, Justin repeatedly used Greek philosophy and Roman mythology to defend Christian beliefs and build a bridge toward belief in Jesus. Paul used a similar approach in Acts 17 with the Athenians. He stretched himself to find common ground to begin their conversation and even quoted from their poets to prove his points.

If you, like me, were “born and bred” Adventist, how much do you know about life outside of Adventism? What interests do you share with the non-Christians around you? How much interaction do you have with non-Christians?

Chad Hess

1 comment:

  1. Chad, thank you for this simple and engaging blog! I think this is a struggle that all Adventists face. We put ourselves "in the bubble" and don't even realize the danger we are doing to ourselves. I say "danger" because we are limiting our opportunity to experience God's children who may be different from ourselves. I know from personal experience that my appreciation for our denomination is enhanced by getting to know people from other faiths, or even non-believers. I don't feel superior. No. I just feel confident in my decision to be a Seventh-Day Adventist christian. And I feel fortunate that God has blessed me by growing up in a country where I have the opportunity to worship him as I choose. Understanding and experiencing other people's path to God has only opened my eyes MORE to the greatness that is GOD! And so I am inspired to step outside of "the bubble."

    ReplyDelete