Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pulling Away the Veneer by John Monday

One morning as I walked into the church I saw Chris standing in the lobby. Chris is often in the lobby as I walk in, but this time he wasn’t alone. As he approached he introduced me to Neal, and it became clear that this was going to take more of my time than I was willing to spend.

Despite my frustration, I took a few minutes to listen to Neal. As it turns out, Neal had been released from the hospital ED the day before where he had been treated for an infection in his leg, a sight I had no desire to see but was shown anyway. A few days before that, he had been released from the Orange County jail where he spent 39 days for a minor offence. Prior to going to jail, Neal spent a couple weeks at the Orlando Union Rescue Mission. All of his clothes were left at the mission when he was arrested, and had since been given away. He was at the Rescue Mission because his employer went out of business and was unable to pay his employees. But that is far from the beginning of Neal’s story.

Neal was a high school football star in Alabama. As a senior, he was a team leader, an object of the local paper’s sports writer, and heavily recruited by colleges across the South. He had an offer of a full scholarship at the University of Alabama and was poised to live out his dream when he suffered a broken neck during a game. While the injury didn’t leave him incapacitated for life, it did leave him in the hospital for several months and unable to play football. When he got out of the hospital, his senior year had passed him by, there was no high school diploma, there were no scholarship offers, and he had developed a drug dependency. His drug dependency would dominate the next ten years of his life, sending him into a spiral that led to alcohol, cocaine, crack, and eventually to Orlando.

To be fair, he didn’t come straight to Orlando from his drug dependency. He had been clean for the better part of a year in Alabama. As sobriety replaced drug dependency, Neal began to realize what he had lost and just how little he had. He had no money, no skills, no education, no prospects, and he had burned the bridge of every relationship in his life. So after a stint in rehab, he came to Orlando. His goal was to prove his sincerity and his ability to pull himself up then return to Alabama with a bit of dignity and begin rebuilding relationships - a goal that clearly had not come to fruition.

As he was speaking to me, his goals had been reduced to just one: He wanted to go home. He had been in touch with a pastor from his youth who had put him in touch with a local junk yard manager that was willing to give him a part time, minimum wage job back home. His only possession was a Home Depot store credit card worth $74.00, a possession he would happily sell. He had tried for days to sell the card but was unable to get anyone to talk to him in the Home Depot parking lot. It was, in fact, this effort to sell his store credit card that landed him in jail. You see, people don’t like to be approached in the Home Depot parking lot by big, homeless men, and Home Depot doesn’t like it either.

I’ll admit that I was moved by Neal. After I went with him to the Orlando Union Rescue Mission where I verified that he had, in fact, been a exemplary tenant and his possessions had been given away days before; and I talked to the pastor in Alabama that helped him find a job; and I verified that the Home Depot store credit card was worth $74.37, then I agreed to buy him a bus ticket to Dothan Alabama for $79.00. He, of course, gave me the Home Depot card resulting in a net loss of $4.63

So what? So what is the point of this rambling? What was my take-away from the time I spent with Neal?

As I considered Neal, the single thought that kept coming to my mind was that for days he couldn’t sell that card in the Home Depot parking lot. But the problem is not only the people in the Home Depot parking lot, it’s me too. Why was I so reticent to spend any of my precious time with Neal? Why do I avoid spending time that way with people like him? My time isn’t actually that valuable. Allow me to propose a possible answer.

When I considered Neal long enough, I was struck less by our differences than by our similarities. I began to wonder, what would have to happen in my life to place me in his position? The answer is surprisingly little. But for one missed tackle in one game 12 years ago and Neal might be every kids Hero. How many of my opportunities would have to be taken away before I fail? How much of my ability? What if I had less diligent parents who were less committed to equipping me for life? What if I had a sudden accident resulting in a loss of mental or physical acuity? What if my employer, my friends, and my family lost all confidence in me?

What if there is a something more sinister? What if I capitulated to my base impulses? What if the social boundaries that guide my behavior were no longer able to contain me? What if the Relationships that compel me to behave and provide no longer held sway in my life? How much of my life is a veneer that, if ripped away, would reveal a man very much in need, a man very much like Neal.

You see, Neal is just like us without the veneer. Neal, and those like him, are walking reminders that we’re not OK. We have little tolerance for Neal because to look at him is to see ourselves. So much of our lives are houses of cards that crumble under the slightest weight. To engage with Neal fully is to be confronted with the depravity that lurks beneath the surface of our lives.

The reality of our condition is so offensive that many of us refuse to acknowledge it. Whether we consciously avoid it or subconsciously ignore it, it is there, waiting to overwhelm us. But this is precisely where authentic Christianity begins. Not in serving people like Neal, but in realizing that we are just like Neal. This is the point where Christ meets us and the only point at which Christ can change us . . . can save us.

Neal knows, and is absolutely clear, that he cannot accomplish anything. He has no self-inflated ego; in fact he has no ego at all. This is the first work of God in the life of a Christian. We must have the veneer ripped away and see ourselves for who and what we are: utterly and totally degenerate creatures capable of no good thing. Upon realizing our depravity, we must acknowledge it and surrender it to Christ. If we view it as something that we work on by ourselves or even together with Christ, then we have inflated ourselves, denigrated Christ, and rejected his work of redemption in our souls. Our salvation is wholly and completely a work of Christ. The new creation that we become is wholly and completely a work of Christ, and to turn myself wholly over to another, even if the other is God, cuts against every thing in my nature, my sinful nature, the nature just under the veneer.

Maybe that’s the reason Neal couldn’t sell that store card.

6 comments:

  1. I understand where you are coming from on this, though it is a bit risky. Neal's problem came from focusing on his own depravity. Satan doesn't care how we get to the point where he is in complete control. Elevated to the highest place or the filthy beggar on the street. He loves to point out our flaws, and to pat us on the back for the great things we have accomplished. The point is to get us to focus on ourselves. I agree that we are helpless by ourselves and we must turn our lives over to Jesus in order to be saved. As filthy as we are Jesus gave up more than we can imagine to bring us home with him. To him we are worth more than his own perfect life. But our focus must be on Him. Let us praise God for allowing you to be used by Him to help Neal.

    DS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. I would make this one addition, Neal was used to help me at least as much as I was used to help him

    John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that in God's eyes and compared to God's perfection, we are all Neals. Even our most perfect attempts at being "Good" fall pitifully short. We cannot forget that God loves Neal and wants a relationship with Neal as much as us "Good" Christians. I also think that God may be happier with a life that has the veneer stripped away. Does God judge Neal more harshly for the drugs that he uses to mask the pain in his life, or us for our ego of thinking how much better we are than Neal, or how great we are for helping Neal. Isn't it true that - if we haven't fallen in love with the Lord, if we are living a life without his reciprocating love, his friendship, his loving care and guidance, and the joy of the Lord that we are so blessed to have in our hearts - we are all Neals? No matter our station in life. Why don't we, as Christians, let all of the Neals we encounter know that we don't judge them, we are no better than them, but we can introduce them to the most wonderful, heart changing, life changing, joy giving, pain killing, everlasting relationship they will ever have and honestly cannot live without - with our Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, Amen. I believe that Neil is in fact a step closer to an authentic relationship with God, not because He's better or worse than us but because he has no delusions about his goodness. Those that believe they are good in the sight of God suffer the worst delusion of all. God doesn't love us because we're good, He loves us because He's good.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, you say that authentic christianity begins not by serving people like Neal but by realizing that we're just like Neal. I certainly don't disagree with you but I'm amazed at how quickly sincerely serving someone in need ushers me into that realization. I'm glad there is an honest discussion here about our reluctance to engage with those in desperate circumstances. I can only imagine the long road that is ahead of this man. Am I the kind of person who would walk beside him on that difficult road? (someone will have to) There are reasons why we cross to the other side of the road, and its not just because we're busy. Brad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brad, service is an inextricable part of Christianity. The problem is that the spirit that inspires the service can come from two different places. The first is from an attitude of doing something to move myself closer to God, the second is a reaction to God moving closer to us. I suspect that the person being served doesn't really care what inspires the service as long as he is being served, but the difference for the server is eternal. The former has engaged in a works based religion, while the later is manifesting the fruit of a relationship with Christ. Are we to serve our fellow man? our community? our church? absolutely! You can not legitimately claim the name Christian if you do not have a heart of service. Does our service earn us any merit it the sight of God? Absolutely not! You can not legitimately claim the name of Christian if you believe you've done anything to earn God's favor.
    John

    ReplyDelete