Sunday, July 12, 2009

To Botox or Not to Botox - That is the Question! by Tami Cinquemani

Just recently a very good friend of mine asked me if I would ever consider getting Botox treatments. My first thought (after asking myself if, perhaps, I hadn’t applied enough foundation that morning) was ABSOLUTELY NOT! Of course, this response was triggered by terrifying visions of tiny little needles invading my sensitive facial area. I related to my friend the experience I had with the technician who gave me the one and only facial I ever experienced. This strong and determined woman with the physique, temperament, and accent of a Gestapo agent declared forcefully while pointing to various areas of my face, “Botox! Botox! Vaxing! Vaxing! Botox! Peeeeel! Botox! Zen you vill be beeeauutiful!” This facial was not turning out to be the relaxing experience I had anticipated.

My friend and I continued our conversation, discussing the pros and cons of advanced efforts to maintain a youthful appearance as we grew older. We marveled at the paralyzed faces of current actresses whose overdone Botox injections allow for limited facial expression. We chuckled about the artificial fullness of collagen-injected smiles. We discussed everything from augmentation, to liposuction, to face lifts. And we decided we’ll probably just do our best to grow old gracefully . . . and naturally.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all about putting time and effort into looking my best. I spend more hours than I like in the gym. I keep a fairly updated wardrobe (albeit strategically selected from clearance racks). I generally don’t walk out my front door without “putting my face on,” and my mantra is, “The greyer I get, the blonder I’ll be.” I’m happy to stop there.

I have friends and acquaintances, however, who have gone the route of Botox and the like. My response to them? You go girl! I know there are those who would think all these efforts are based in vanity and not something a real Christian woman would do. Though some would argue, the Bible’s only caution on this topic is toward modesty in appearance. I think that leaves the whole issue between God and the person making the decisions.

H.M.S. Richards, a pioneer of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, was once asked his opinion of women wearing make-up. I love his response: “If the barn needs paint, paint it!” My thought is, if the barn needs a spackling job or a new door, that should be up to the barn-owner as well.

Tami Cinquemani

No comments:

Post a Comment