Sunday, April 10, 2011

An Acquired Taste by John Monday

I like coffee. Well, that’s not really fair. I love coffee. I don’t like Starbucks or Seattle's Best, and I don’t like Mocha, Latte, French Vanilla, Santa’s Blend, Cappuccino or any of those frou-frou corruptions of coffee. I like coffee - plain, straight, black, bitter, Folgers coffee. But I’d have to admit it’s an acquired taste.

I can’t imagine that anyone who tastes straight black coffee for the first time likes it. Like many things in life - beer, cigarettes, whisky, broccoli, mushrooms, liver - if you want to enjoy coffee, you’ve got to commit to it. But once you’ve acquired the taste . . . Oh! How pleasant it is.

There’s a synagogue near our home that we pass on our way to church. As we passed it this weekend, the congregants entering in their traditional black coats and hats inspired my son to start telling me about traditional Jewish Sabbath restrictions. He explained to me that many of them even had to limit the number of steps they take on Sabbath. I agreed and further explained that some traditional Jews wouldn’t drive a car because that could be interpreted as a violation of the prohibition against building a fire on the Sabbath.

In an effort to help him understand that there are many cultures and that we should be careful about judging others, I started telling him that Jews aren’t the only ones that restrict some activities on their Holy day. In addition to spending time with God, “There are some Christians who hold that it’s okay to wade on the Holy day but not to swim. I explained that some will cross-country ski but not go sledding, while others would think it acceptable to walk but not to run.

As I was warming to the topic and trying to help him understand that we all may have some traditions that look odd to others, he stopped me. He appeared physically nauseated, looked straight at me and said, “That’s stupid. I don’t want to talk about it anymore.” I realized in that moment that he hadn’t acquired the taste.

Legalism is bitter, and when first introduced to the pallet will rarely produce a positive reaction. But placed in the right environment, encouraged with cultural support, and endorsed by Elders in the community, the taste will be acquired. And once you’ve acquired the taste, you’ll be as committed to it as I am to coffee or the alcoholic is to his next bottle.

But there’s another way. A way that is sweet from the first bite. A way that doesn’t require any “acquired taste” because we’ve longed for it all our lives. A way that brings life and hope, joy and forgiveness. That way is Grace, and it belongs to Christ.

So, I think I’m content with my son’s reaction for the moment. While I want him to think generously about the traditions and observances of others, I hope that he chooses the sweet and not the bitter. I hope that he opts for the Grace that will give eternal satisfaction to his soul, rather than the conventions of men. I pray that he never acquires a taste for legalism.

John Monday

2 comments:

  1. How interesting the correlation made between legalism and two drugs and how one can acquire a taste for all of them when placed in the right environment, ( or should we say the wrong one?) or are encouraged by cultural support or what could be considered peer pressure.

    It looks like a good analogy but Ellen White has something to say about it in Christian Temperance and Bible Hygiene page 34


    Coffee is a hurtful indulgence. It temporarily excites the mind to unwonted action, but the after-effect is exhaustion, prostration, paralysis of the mental, moral, and physical powers. The mind becomes enervated, and unless through determined effort the habit is overcome, the activity of the brain is permanently lessened. {CTBH 34.4}
    All these nerve irritants are wearing away the life-forces, and the restlessness caused by shattered nerves, the impatience, the mental feebleness, become a warring element, antagonizing to spiritual progress. Then should not those who advocate temperance and reform be awake to counteract the evils of these injurious drinks? In some cases it is as difficult to break up the tea-and-coffee habit as it is for the inebriate to discontinue the use of liquor. The money expended for tea and coffee is worse than wasted. They do the user only harm, and that continually. Those who use tea, coffee, opium, and alcohol, may sometimes live to old age, but this fact is no argument in favor of the use of these stimulants. What these persons might have accomplished, but failed to do because of their intemperate habits, the great day of God alone will reveal. {CTBH 34.5}

    Maybe you should pray your son never acquires a taste for legalism, alcohol, coffee or any other stimulant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”

    12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?”
    Matthew 15:10-12

    ReplyDelete