Sunday, April 17, 2011

Weighing the 28 by Bill Crofton

I love being a chaplain at Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences, and one of the responsibilities I enjoy is teaching this class. Last semester there were 34 students, and 31 of them were not Seventh-day Adventist. Many had never even heard of the denomination until attending school here. And most of those who had some knowledge of the SDA church fell into that zone of “Oh yeah, you guys go to church on Saturday and don’t eat meat, right?”

I always introduce myself to a new class with, “Hi gang, I’m Bill, a Christian who practices his faith within the sub-culture of the SDA church.”

“So, Pastor Bill, where did they get all these 28 anyway?” That was a question posed by a student of mine in the class, “What Seventh-day Adventists Believe.”

Short answer, “Well, the Bible of course,” was my reply. However, if you are asking me how many of the “28” are relevant to salvation, that is another matter.

How about it? What do you want people to know about your church, what you believe, how you practice Christianity? Ooooh . . . how you practice Christianity. Isn’t that the larger question, the more important question?

Since coming to the college, I have been asked by people, Are you happy? Is it comfortable being in such an environment with so many “non-SDA’s?” First, I must tell you that about 65% of our student body is of other denominations and religions. Yes! Not only is it comfortable, but in my humble opinion, it’s healthy. My job is to join their journey - be it faculty, staff, or students - and walk beside them. I am doing more listening, and that is not a bad thing.

So what do I do with the 28 - the 28 doctrines/teachings on the back of most SDA baptismal vows? Well, I like how Dick Deurkson, a good friend of mine, summarizes them in 5 major statements of the SDA Church:

#1 God loves you, and His Word (Bible) is still relevant for today.

#2. God loves you, and Jesus Christ IS God’s Son who came, lived, and

died for our sins.

#3. God loves you and has a purpose for your life.

#4. God loves you and desires to spend TIME with you.

#5. God loves you and cares deeply about the QUALITY of your life.

That is the BIG FIVE! Actually, I tell my class that the MOST important teachings, principles, laws, are found in TWO. Do you know which two?

Bill Crofton
Chaplain
Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences

2 comments:

  1. Wonderfully put! I, too, am in the health field and work primarily with non-Adventist and think it is VERY healthy doing that. I dislike the thoughts that Adventists should only hang with and deal with other Adventist and often ask if they think only Adventist will be with us in heaven. Of course they immediately say no, but I wonder if they really believe that. I'm so going to steal your Top 5 and especially the top 2. Whenever I give Bible Studies to a non-Adventist I preface it by telling them that my goal is NOT for them to become Adventist, THAT is not detrimental to their Salvation. My goal is that they will learn and develop a deeply personal relationship with God. Nice to hear that others do the same. Thank you for your article. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep. The #1 and the #2, are the must-know's. The rest of it, you get by living those two. :) We are called to be salt and light... among food and darkness. Lets mingle, people! :D

    ReplyDelete