Sunday, April 3, 2011

Facing the Unknown by Chad Hess

“And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: ‘Give me a light, that I may tread safely into the unknown.’ And he replied: ‘Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light, and safer than a known way.’” -- Minnie Louise Haskins.

I first heard this quote several years ago in the midst of several major changes in my life. And now, many years later, it still really speaks to me. Of course, I’m again facing more changes and the uncertainty that can bring. I will graduate with a masters degree in May, and many people have asked me the inevitable question: what are you going to do now? The sad part is that I’m not really sure.

To put it bluntly, I’ve been pretty bad at guessing God’s will so far, so I’ve stopped trying. That’s not to say that I don’t plan for the future, but rather that I have learned to accept some degree of unknown. I could have never predicted the path that God has led me down, and I certainly could not have made a better path myself. If God had told me six years ago the path he would lead me down, I would not have believed it. And for that reason, I am okay with only seeing the step I am on (and maybe the step coming up). I can put my trust in the God who will never let me down and who has greater dreams for me than I can ever imagine!

Chad Hess

2 comments:

  1. Very well said! There is something to be said about being content with not knowing every step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the author of the poem should have considered the influence such a profound quotation could have both upon those heavily burdened in life and, in consequence, those left behind?

    ReplyDelete