Sunday, September 25, 2011

Clearing the Stuff by Greg Creek

I love stuff. With hobbies in music, electronics, and all-around tinkering, I have amassed a lot of stuff that is interesting, useful, neat-looking, or just cool for whatever reason.

I have recently determined that I hate moving, having lived in three houses in three months. As we went about packing up our house the first time, I started looking at everything with one question in mind: “Will I really miss that if I get rid of it?” I had grown quite weary of packing, and these feelings were only during the first move. Little did I know another move was on the horizon!

During the first move we got rid of lots of stuff--clothes, electronics, and randomness. During the second move we got rid of more clothes, more electronics and, even musical instruments (which was not an easy thing for me to do).

What I realized was how quickly stuff can just pile up. But not just any stuff – stuff that we never used, stuff that we didn’t need, stuff that just got in the way. After several moves I thought it strange how much stuff I was lugging around that I didn’t need. It took longer to move, cost more to move, and made it more tiring to move.

In the midst of the second move, I saw a friend whom I had not seen for some time. Using the word “friend” is probably a bit of stretch. I had some deep resentment toward this person though I was really the one at fault. For the last 12 months or so I had been impressed that there needed to be reconciliation, and in the midst of the second move, God worked out a meeting. After meeting and talking with this person, my mind still overrun with thoughts of the second move, I realized that I had been carrying the “stuff” from this relationship with me.

As much as I hate to admit it, getting ridding of the clothes, electronics, and yes, even the instruments, was somewhat of a relief and felt good to purge. However, that relief was nothing compared to the relief I felt with the reconciliation that I encountered with my friend.

I’d be willing to assume that we all have some extra stuff in our lives, whether it’s the physical stuff that fills our storage closets and garages, or whether it’s the stuff of emotional baggage, grudges, and the like. Start your spring-cleaning early this year, and purge all the stuff . . . it feels great.

Greg Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment