Sunday, September 18, 2011

Some to Nineveh, Some to Fiji by Richard Hickam

I must admit, I was quite embarrassed to lead a youth group on a mission trip at the ripe age of 41 and have it be my first mission trip. I had been impressed over the last several years, after taking my performance groups to various educational (Washington, D.C.), exceptional (Carnegie Hall), and downright fun (Walt Disney World) venues, that there was something more that I should be doing. It’s not that any of the other stuff is bad…I believe in a well-balanced diet and lifestyle, but I did feel like something was missing in my Christian experience.

After arrangements were made and I discovered we would be heading to the South Pacific and the Fiji Islands, the excitement started to build. My mantra became “some are called to Nineveh, and some are called to Fiji!

The trip changed me in many ways; as a matter of fact, I don’t think I would have accepted a call into music ministry full time at the Florida Hospital Church if I hadn’t had this mission experience. The call from Andy McDonald came immediately after this trip, and I know I wouldn’t have taken it if I hadn’t seen God opening special doors once I decided to go “all the way” with Him.

Anyway, I love “Top 10” lists, so I made this “First Time” list of the things I did on this mission trip at the age of 41 to let people know , when you walk through a door that God has opened for you, your life of excitement is only beginning!

My List of Firsts on the Fiji Mission Trip 2011

First mission trip

First time taking a group out of the country (an adventure on many levels)

First time to the South Pacific

First time to be away from electronic devices and air conditioning for a substantial period of time

First time to understand for what a handkerchief is used

First time to be eaten alive by mosquitoes

First time snorkeling

First time parasailing

First time to lead a paint crew

First time driving on the wrong side of the road!!!

First time to see how badly people wanted to get to America

First time in a native village

First time to receive a Whale’s tooth!

First time to pull a tooth (three, thanks to Dr. Joe Milholm!)

First sermon preached

First sermon preached using an interpreter

First time to play a concert in a prison (outside, in the Fijian tropical sun)

First time to lead the Hallelujah Chorus with orchestra and chorus in a prison concert and understand what it really means to live the gospel as in Matthew 25:36

First time I have depended on God so much and seen Him in such a clear and vivid way!

As our church begins a new adventure partnering with Small Steps for Compassion (Tanzania, Africa), I would challenge you to join this mission project, and get ready for God to use you - wherever you are in your journey - in new and powerful ways!

Richard Hickam

No comments:

Post a Comment