Sunday, October 14, 2012

Funeral For A Friend - Orlo Gilbert by Richard Hickam


A musical mentor of mine passed away a couple of months ago, and I am a part of a memorial concert that is taking place in a few weeks. My mind has been awash with memories as I am helping gather photographs, write program notes, and communicate with old friends. Orlo Gilbert taught me many things about music, such as the importance of being prepared, being early, and practice, practice, practice – slowly and correctly.  He was also a formidable debater when it came to matters he was passionate about.

Orlo was raised in a farming community in South Dakota and was taught the value of a hard day’s work from an early age.  He absolutely lived the adage, “make hay while the sun is still shining” for as long as I knew him. He carried this mantra on in his musical pursuits as a professional violin player, educator, and conductor. Late in his career, he branched out into learning the organ and string bass. A passion for excellence carried over into his other hobby, working on antique cars. His award-winning 1914 Willis Overland, two Ford Model T’s, and 1941 Ford Woody were reminders of the exquisite attention to detail with which he pursued all things to which he set his mind.

I was a less-than-model student in my early college career (and I do mean career). I dropped out of college several times and became involved in self-destructive activities. Even when I was not attending school, Orlo invited me to come and play in his orchestra. Eventually, I moved to California to “find myself,” and things eventually got worse. I finally came to a turning point that was the beginning of a meaningful, spiritual journey. I heard that Orlo was taking his orchestra to Scotland the following year and, having heritage there, I determined I was going to go back, humble myself being an older student, and make a go of it. Orlo gave me opportunity after opportunity, and my junior and senior year I was his assistant conductor. He saw something in me that he drew out and polished as if I were one of his old cars.

The way he lived his life of service to others reminds of me of the verse in I Peter 4:10: “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.”

 I have been assigned to conduct the memorial orchestra for the finale of Saint-Saens “Organ” Symphony #3. It’s a tricky piece to conduct and is one that I’ve always wanted to do. In my score study, I am meticulously going through all the things Orlo taught me for an event which is sure to be an emotional roller coaster.

So thanks Orlo, for investing in old cars and human lives, and when I see you again, I can’t wait to tell you about how much the things you taught me prepared me for a life of service to others in a most excellent fashion.

Richard Hickam

No comments:

Post a Comment