Sunday, October 21, 2012

Unexpected Love by Greg Creek


My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months. We recently went to the doctor and had the sonogram to find out the gender. We had the results put into an envelope and will be finding out in a few days. By the time you read this, we’ll know.

While it would be easy to go back and edit this so that it’s present tense, that would take away the whole point! I’m so excited! We have a big party planned and will find out with a bunch of friends what gender our baby is going to be.

The question that we get the most regarding gender is whether we have a preference. We don’t. One time someone asked that question, and before I could respond said, “The correct answer is, ‘as long as they’re healthy, it doesn’t matter.’” Here’s the deal: that response doesn’t express how I feel.

I don’t care if my baby is a boy or a girl, healthy or unhealthy, weak or strong, blond or brunette, left-handed or right-handed, short or tall, blue eyes or brown eyes. I’ll love, nay, already love, my baby regardless of the previous attributes or how many fingers or toes they may or may not have.

I know very little about my baby. And yet, I love that little human being. I love that little baby because it belongs to my wife and I. Someone probably just thought to themselves, “Really, that baby belongs to God.” This I know. That is the whole point of this blog.

I know so very little about my baby and yet have an unending love for that little one. Imagine how God feels about each one of us. He has known us before we were even born (Jer. 1:5) and knew us before time even began (Is 46:10). Sure, we disappoint Him. Sure, we are marred by sin. But God doesn’t care! He loves us with an everlasting love (Jer. 31:3)! It’s an unending, invasive, life altering, mess-you-up-in-a-good-way sort of love.

People tell me that my picture of God will change with all the new things I experience with parenting. On the cusp of finding out my baby’s gender, I’m discovering that’s true. God loves me with a ferocious love I’ve never experienced until now.

I don’t know when the next revelation of His love will be shown to me. I’m sure it will come as a surprise. Of all the places to discover His love, I found it in a gender reveal party.

Greg Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment