Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Sweet Mistake by Tami Cinquemani


Law enforcement agents recently showed up at the home of Laura Benson in Anna, IL.  Her neighbors suspected the family was running a meth lab, so they contacted local law enforcement and reported the “suspicious” activity.  When they arrived, Ms. Benson explained to the officers that they were running a maple syrup operation, not a meth lab.  The officers were given a tour of the process and left with samples of the homemade maple syrup. 

Ms. Benson reportedly was shocked, but appreciative, that her neighbors were “alert” enough keep an eye out for criminal activity in the community.  Her message to the neighbors who called the police: “I just want to put their minds at ease, and let them know it's maple syrup. And that they're all welcome for pancakes if they want to come on over."

This story makes me think of Matthew 5:39:

“Here’s another old saying that deserves a second look: ‘Eye for eye, tooth for tooth.’ Is that going to get us anywhere? Here’s what I propose: ‘Don’t hit back at all.’ If someone strikes you, stand there and take it. If someone drags you into court and sues for the shirt off your back, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. And if someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.” (The Message)

I don’t know Laura Benson or her family, though I think I might like to if I lived in the area.  I hope the people who called the police will take the time to know their neighbors because they seem well worth knowing.  I hope that, given a similar situation, I would react with this kind of understanding and grace.  Like the Benson family, I want to provide a rich source of sweetness that will brighten my community . . . and I’m not talking about the maple syrup.

Tami Cinquemani


No comments:

Post a Comment