Sunday, February 10, 2013

Passing On The Important Things by Chad Hess


When I was a boy, my favorite stuffed animal was a teddy bear I called Huggy Bear.  He has movable arms and legs and a plaid bow-tie   He is one of the few stuffed animals I still have from when I was a kid.  While he isn't nearly as soft as he used to be, we added him to the stuffed animal collection that our boys have.  Friday morning, my 3-year-old son came out of his room clutching Huggy Bear.  I have to say, I was delighted.  I never tried to push Huggy Bear on him since I know you can't really force the attachments a child will make to a stuffed animal.  They have to make the choice, and I was happy that he chose Huggy Bear that morning.

As much as I love my son playing with Huggy Bear, there is something even more important that I want to pass along – a personal relationship with Jesus.  Just like with Huggy Bear, I know that I can't force it.  I can tell him about Jesus, I can show him what my relationship with Jesus looks like, and I can pray that he will develop his own.  But ultimately, it is a decision that he will have to make for himself.  I pray that one day he will walk arm and arm with Jesus the way he did this morning with Huggy Bear.

Chad Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment